OT: Biscotti/cantucci

Hi,

Biscotti == cookie (loosely speaking).

Americans think of:

when confronted with the term. And, there are all sorts of (perverse!) variations on that theme.

Growing up in an Italian-American home/extended family/neighborhood/community, biscotti is an overloaded term. E.g., these are *also* biscotti:

Obviously, they *should* have a different name to distinguish them from the first reference (they are entirely different textures, etc.)

I've already contacted the bakeries that I know of that bake these latter varieties (their name seems to be the most elusive). As with everyone that I grew up with and around, they invariably refer to ALL of these as "biscotti" -- and just "magically" know which sort you mean!

(e.g., we've historically *baked* the first kind but *bought* the second)

Anyone with a definitive answer? Or, a suitable reference? (google is useless)

Thx,

--don

Reply to
Don Y

That's the kind my Italian wife makes, learned from her Italian grammy. With more visible almonds.

It's labor intensive. Slice the almonds in a food processor. Work the butter into the flour, add stuff, roll, let rest. Bake. Cool, slice into cookies, bake again. Mo and Nina spend an entire day, once a year, making a ginormous bunch of these.

Mighty tasty.

Means "cookie" ?

Not me. I just eat them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

This requires some research. Please forward samples (as many as possible) of all types of biscotti and I will happily give it my all.

--

Rick
Reply to

I bake a small batch (~24 cookies) every two weeks. SWMBO makes a point of leaving the empty "biscotti jar" someplace where I have to TRIP over it -- to ensure I know she is "out".

You can buy presliced almonds (Costco) in large bags (a few pounds). I only need a cup for a batch so would be annoying to have to clean food processor.

Other than almonds, all I add to the mix is Amaretto -- then "wash" the loaves with it before baking. Pleasant taste.

No fats at all (butter, oleo, etc.) so probably the most effective way to deliver carbs to a body! :-/

Large batches wouldn't "keep", here. Even hard to keep a small batch "fresh" (i.e., hard as a rock) in the summer humidity! Despite storing in air-tight containers.

Growing up, "Tony brought back biscotti" meant "Uncle Tony has 200 pounds of biscotti (this second group) in the trunk of his car -- get 'em before they're gone!". By contrast, "I baked some biscotti. Would you like one?" or, "Careful! You'll break a tooth if you don't dunk that in coffee or vin rose!" means the first type.

Unfortunately, I am not fond of the first type. And, the second type are way too expensive to have shipped in ($10/pound for the biscotti PLUS shipping. Anything less than 50 pounds would be a wasted effort -- gone too quickly; I'd be on the phone reordering every week!!)

Local bakers are heavy on the vanilla. :< And, despite KNOWING that I'll never buy their product (because the flavor is WAY too intense!), there's not a chance in hell that they'll share a Rx that I could "fix".

This leaves me with a generic name (biscotti) to seek out potential Rx's.

Reply to
Don Y

They should arrive there early this week. If you don't find a box sitting on the front stoop, one of your neighbors must have taken them! (suggest you head over with a baseball bat and confront them!)

Reply to
Don Y

I find blackberries and ramekins all over the place, encouraging me to make custard bread pudding. As in, right now.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I'm not into "sweets" (OTOH, there are a few that I find irresistable -- and thus avoid making!).

A PM suggests the biscotti I am interested in may be "Biscotti al Latte" (milk cookies?)

Reply to
Don Y

I do that all the time anyway. No point in creating a ruckus over a few cookies. I'm thinking of firing up a potato cannon for when they make big wakes coming and going.

Looking forward to the cookies. I've got my eye on the post person.

--

Rick
Reply to

You need a REAL cannon! Neighbor's shoots 2" steel (?) balls! I'm sure there is *something* that limits what he can do with it...

Reply to
Don Y