OT: Bill Sloman's Exemplary Paradise

Cultural enrichment Swedish style:

Cursitor Doom

That is an interesting phenomenon: - a right-wing poster - an anonymous poster - a proclaimer that western news is "fake news" - implicitly trusting a *Russian* news service - to provide honest unbiassed info about a state that can be a thorn in its side Whatever is the world coming to?

Answers on the back of a postage stamp.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You think "Russia Today" is going to give a clear, unbiased picture of the issues facing a country in Europe? Honestly?

Sweden does not have any "police no-go" areas. It never has had. It certainly has areas that have high rates of crime, high unemployment, and other social problems, just like all countries. Most of the people that live in those areas - regardless of ethnicity - are quite happy there, and do not see their reputation as being deserved.

This would like be showing a picture of the worst abandoned areas of Detroit and labelling it "Capitalist success, USA style".

Reply to
David Brown

Actually Russian propaganda, from a source that regularly publishes "mater ially misleading" content.

If Cursitor Doom looked hard enough he could find similar scenes in his own back yard.

Sweden does do a whole lot of things a whole lot better than the UK does, a nd the USA is even further behind current good practice.

That doesn't make Sweden any kind of paradise, and I've never argued that i t was. Scandinavian self-satisfaction does produce certain practical proble ms, but it is true that if USA modelled itself more closely on Sweden than it now does it would have better health care, better education and a bunch of other advantages.

The people who currently hold political power in the USA wouldn't find the changes to their advantage, so it isn't going to happen there. The UK does have universal health care, so Sweden doesn't have quite as much to offer t hem, but there's at least one UK book that does spell out the differences.

most_Always_Do_Better

It's printed, on paper, so Cursitor Doom won't find it as accessible as the idiotic propaganda videos that he draws our attention to from tine to time .

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

This is something that would be typical of JT: post something obviously biased and act like it's a news flash. And from RT nonetheless?

The Russia-Trump(i.e. right wing) collusion story just gained more credence.

Reply to
lonmkusch

Nah. No need to descend to conspiracy/collusion theories /this/ time :)

Occam's razor leads towards CursitorDoom being any combination of - an attention-seeking fanbois - not being able to score highly in any form of Critical Thinking tests - a good old-fashioned troll

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Of course not. A station having a lot of fufnny stories :-).

I have been following the Swedish national broadcaster (svt.se) on a daily basis, while none admits a "no-go" zone, no police systems admits able to do anything usuful in these area.

A lot of Finns imigrated into Sweden in the 1970's into metal (Volvo/Saab) industry and textile industry. Most of hese people have tried hard to get away from those areas.

Reply to
upsidedown

I was half joking, but couldn't help but to point out the irony.

Reply to
lonmkusch

On Aug 31, 2017, David Brown wrote (in article ):

While RT is a prolific source of disinformation, a Swedish friend of mine confirmed the 23 no-go areas (by whatever name). The Swedish media has the examples, if not the count.

And, yes, Rinkeby is very much a hot zone, as 60 Minutes found out (there was a posting and a video about this on SED some months ago).

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I predicted the comments section would be people ranting about the Jews, I was correct

Reply to
bitrex

The "no go area" implies that these areas are anarchy, and police refuse to go there. That is simply untrue - it is a wild exaggeration, made popular by some media (including some in Sweden). As I said, there are areas with real problems - but the "no go" reputation is utter nonsense.

The worst example (both in terms of actual problems, and in reputation) is Rinkeby:

It has about 90% immigrant population. There have been riots, attacks on police, at attacks on journalists. Building a new police station is a challenge because they expect to meet violence and vandalism.

Yes, Rinkeby is a serious challenge for Sweden. No, it is not a "no go" area. And yes, it is probably the most criminal area in all of Scandinavia - somewhere has to be!

60 Minutes is a entertainment show, not news or documentary. The correct reaction to a 60 minutes team showing up on your doorstep is to laugh at them, not to throw stones at them.
Reply to
David Brown

Europe in general has always had that even when it was 99% white - Europe's history is more-or-less a history of war, crime, and whack-out ultraviolence.

The mentality of the far-right is that "If I'm gonna be robbed or murdered by someone, they should at least be the same ethnicity as me!" like, you know, that makes it better.

Reply to
bitrex

I suspected as much, and decided to play along. After all, even such a non-ironic and/or correct suggestion would have made as much sense as some of the crackpot theories spouted in this group :)

Perhaps I should have included more outlandish possibilities such as CursitorDoom being a false-flag Kremlin sockpuppet acting to damage Western democracies by encouraging them to distrust themselves.

But that would have been too much like some of the other OT nonsense seen in this group. (Wouldn't it?)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

edence.

It would. Some that come to mind are the "enemies of the people" post and various mentions about certain groups hating themselves and hating the coun try in which they live. These ideas are so "out there" and illogical they can only come from someone who's grasping at straws, hoping to find somethi ng that insults the target audience.

Reply to
lonmkusch

You have the advantage over me with that, then. All extraneous garbage content like comments and adverts are blocked here so I never get to see them unless I expressly permit it - and I won't be doing that.

Cursitor Doom

Well, well, well. Mr. Gardner again. My killfile assumed you'd be rehabilitated by now and has let you out, but clearly qualitative judgements like that are not something killfiles are suited to. I suspect it won't be long at all before a re-plonk becomes necessary.

Cursitor Doom

Please do so. I wouldn't want to disturb the ambiance in your echo chamber.

In my experience trolls don't /actually/ killfile people since their objective is to provoke a response and killfiles (obviously) prevent them from seeing any such response.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Are you going to put his name on the board too? Give him detention? Sit in timeout? Give him a warning?

While you're deciding, I think I'm going to stroll over to RT for some good unbiased news.

Reply to
lonmkusch

Why do people confuse sci.electronics.design with Facebook?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If you can't see that RT is a zillion times more reputable as a news source than CNN/NBC/BBC et al, you must be totally blind. Sure they aren't 100% impartial; no news organisation is. But they are my most trusted news source even if not yours - until such time as I ever discover otherwise, of course.

Cursitor Doom