OT: Best Website Hosting?

I'm fed up with OLM (my website hosting company), they've garnered yet another blacklisting due to spam traffic, snarling up my E-mail forwarding...

Final-Recipient: RFC822; snipped-for-privacy@cox.net Action: failed Status: 5.5.0 Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 554 fed1rmimpi211 cox 209.204.231.42 blocked. Error Code: IPBL1000 - Refer to Error Codes section at

for more information. Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:34:26 -0500

I need to find a new website hosting company that's reliable.

Recommendations?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

LanMinds, LMI.net, in Berkeley.

Real people provide real support.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Rackspace.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks, John, I'll give them a look-see. ...Jim Thompson

Thanks, Phil! I ran across a recommendation to them already. ...Jim Thompson

All web hosting companies are subject to this problem since all the mail is from one IP address. So some lowlife spammer screws it up for the rest.

You can move the MX record to another server and leave the website alone. This is an alternative if you find the other hosting companies to be too expensive. You could host the email yourself with a business grade ISP, or use another company that just does email. A number of these have popped up after the HIPAA was passed. Just search for HIPAA compliant email. Most require a USA telephone number to set up the account, which eliminates a vast majority of the spammers.

Basic email should be about a dollar a month. Archival maybe $2 to $3 a month. Still very cheap. The archival will hold up in court since it is documented by a third party.

Reply to
miso

I use 1&1 ( 1and1.com ) for hosting my personal site. It seems to work OK from a technical standpoint. They are the US branch of a German hosting company.

From an administrative standpoint, it is more interesting. Minor things, like changing the account number or expiration date of the credit card I pay with, can be done at their Web site with minimum fuss. When I moved from Oklahoma to Missouri and needed to update the physical address they had on file, I had to download a form, print it out, fill it in, sign it, and fax it, along with a copy of my photo ID, to get them to do it.

If you use any fancy features at your current hosting (PHP, Perl, Python, ActiveX, .NET, SQL databases, whatever), make sure your new provider supports those as well. The feature sets are pretty similar these days, but often you will be asked to choose between Windows and Linux hosting, which support different things.

Whoever you use, it's always a good idea to have a local copy of your site on your hard drive somewhere. This makes life simpler if you want to move hosting companies in the future. (In 2014, any competent hosting company should have backups such that if a drive on one of their servers crashes, they should be able to restore it themselves. Unfortunately, the only way to know if they're competent is to crash a drive on their server and see what happens.)

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Agreed. I've been using 1and1.com since about 2005. Works well, quite reliable, no issues, no speed problems, etc. I have no idea how well tech support works because I've only had to call them once (to find something I missed in the FAQ). I setup various friends and customers to use my account for their email and web hosting. I just register domains or sub-domains for them, setup email and ftp accounts and passwords, and it's as if they were completely seperate from the other users on my account. I could charge them, but all my friends are cheap and wouldn't pay me anyway.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On a sunny day (Thu, 24 Apr 2014 02:45:19 +0000 (UTC)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote in :

I have the website at home, make any changes there, and once done use a script to send everything to the hosted site. I have shell access (ssh, scp) for that, Sometimes in rare cases I edit on the main site, uploaded my own editor. Site runs on a Linux server of course.

There are advantages in all this, first I have the original at home, second if things were to fail I can start up a local nameserver, change the main DNS pointer, and run the server from home, (that includes mail, sendmail), nothing would change for the outside world, just the IP address,

There are some port translations to the local network in the router that need to be set.

But unless Jim is a Linux wizard, and has lots of time (say 2 hours a day for server related things), he better use some hosting service. I use

Been using it a couple of years now, it has in fact improved, downtime is insignificant, I use Linux fetchmail to get the mail, so that creates a local copy immediately that is backed up too here.

**** In any case you always need at least one backup email address elsewhere. **** Things happen, or example my yahoo email stopped working last week, could sort of make it work by switching of java, no way to give them feedback it did not work, few days later it started working again... A women at the controls! Think she came from google.... ;-) Hope she can take that joke, else... ? ooops LOL Well, its a free account.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

don't use your web host for forwarding then. if you need mail to pass through it run imap or pop3 on it instead - cut out the middle-men.

but if you must pick a supplier that's rabidly anti-spam. perhaps godaddy.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

My particular need: I have 100+ E-mail addresses, one for each vendor, bank, contractor, credit cards, etc. Mostly to aid sorting into different folders when received, but also to snag anyone selling my E-mail address to spammers. For retrieval purposes, each of those address is funneled into two addresses at Cox, from whence I download.

Not being very web literate, how would I avoid a "middleman" and accomplish such an arrangement?

I'm open to any suggestions.

I'm considering them. They're local (Scottsdale, AZ), and do indeed have a good reputation. ...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Thu, 24 Apr 2014 08:41:11 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

No you are not. You are just a cross-poster.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Just set up a catchall account with your mail provider.

I don't think it's a great idea to run your own email server unless you know a lot about computer security. Mail transfer agents are huge pieces of code, which (statistically) makes them insecure.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Isn't that what I already have at OLM?

...Jim Thompson

I used godaddy for a campaign web site. Price was good, good support and all the tools were there. I will use them again.

They should be able to solve your email issue. You can setup a bunch of different mail accounts or just forward everything like you do now to a couple of addresses. Godaddy can do all that.

Much of the bad press about godaddy has nothing to do with the service. They just dont like Parsons.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

I know ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Often the real reason is lazy IT people. They simply let some "service" such as spamcop censor everything and call it a day. And the way those "services" often work is "Hey, he's got a yellow T-shirt and today everyone wearing a yellow T-shirt is a bad guy". The least they could do is white-list everyone who has been sent email to automatically. But I have found that that is sometimes already asking too much. Which I find pathetic.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I run my web site and email through them as well. But I came very close to dumping them end of last year and defecting to Bluehost. My email bounced at some servers that complained that 1and1 spews too much spam. From 1and1 support I heard one excuse after another until I raised a real ruckus with them. Shortly after it got better. My impression was they have a hard time policing their clients or maybe don't really do it. It isn't rocket science to detect spammer patterns and kick them off the island. Better to lose what little "revenue" those guys contribute and avoid losing scores of honest low data volume customers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That not a good indictor of valid email, malware often makes use of the victims address book.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

...charge them more. If you also have legitimate customers, this is (or used to be) known as a "pink contract". You *do* have to shut down the spammers when the complaints from normal customers get too deafening, but the money is good until that point.

If you have no legitimate customers, only spammers, then you are offering "bulletproof hosting", and you can charge quite a premium to everyone for ignoring complaints, subpoenas, etc.

This doesn't have anything to do with any of the ISPs we have been discussing - it's more of a general comment on business models.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds