OT: Best Stud Locator?

OT: Best Stud Locator? (Thru drywall or stucco.) ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

I know women like that. Eventually they grow up and become monogamous.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Neodymium magnet superglued to a stick.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Zircon is probably the oldest electronic stud finder. I haven't done a survey to say they are the best.

Incidentally, these devices don't find nails. They can detect a change in density.

Reply to
miso

I just slide a magnet around and let it stick to the nail heads.

But I really want an imaging impulse radar. Should be $29 at Home Depot.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Is this for servicing your wife?

Are Drywall and Stucco names of escort agencies?

:-)

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

He need a Young Buck Sensor.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

didn't know you were that type!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I got a cheap combo unit from the local junk store.. I think I paid a whole 5 bucks for it..

It does stud finding, live electrical wires and metal detects.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I guess I need to reword this request... all the juveniles are diverting attention from the original intent :-(

Actually I need an accurate locator for those _rafters_ in the ceiling so I can hang a ladder hoist. ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

The one miso recomends, its an actual stud finder, not a nail finder has wire warning too.

Martin Riddle

I guess I need to reword this request... all the juveniles are diverting attention from the original intent :-(

Actually I need an accurate locator for those _joists_ in the wall framing so I can hang some heavy tools. ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Anyone have experience with this one...

...Jim Thompson

Measuring tape, everything is 16" OC.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

There, 3 in 1 tool, take's care of all your needs and it cheap, too!

detection-67801.html

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Check the reviews, do you have a foil vapor barrier on the insulation? Seems to cause problems.

Martin Riddle

Good point. This house... they even used a foil barrier on the roof plywood! ...Jim Thompson

That thermal barrier reduces attic temperatures quite a bit!

Martin Riddle

The electric bill here is running about 30% of that of the previous house. ...Jim Thompson

I usually use a Zircon StudSensor. I've had various models. I have almost always used them on drywall. Useful features are an LED or LCD bar graph of signal strength, and what they call "deepscan" mode, which seems to up the transmit power or receive sensitivity a little bit. (I think these are ultrasonic but I'm not sure.) The fancier models now have metal and electric-field detection; I've never used one like that so I don't know how useful they are.

All of the Zircons I've used have a "calibrate" step, where you put it on the wall and push the button, and then it beeps to let you know it's ready. Every once in a while you manage to calibrate it right on top of a stud, which makes it act weird when you move off the stud. Solution: move it six inches any direction and recalibrate.

If cost is absolutely no object, buy a FLIR camera. When I had the inspection done on this house, the inspector had one, and I looked over his shoulder; you could easily see the studs when he pointed it at the outside walls, and the joists in the ceiling were also discernible. (It probably helped that it was an 0 F day outside, and the furnace in the house had been running for about an hour at that point.)

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds