OT: Best Source for memory?

I want to bump up the memory in my Lenovo ThinkPad X61s from 2GB to

4GB.

Who are the most reliable sources from which to buy memory? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

crucial.com has good selection help.

newegg.com may have better prices.

I've used both sources.

Reply to
news

I've used Crucial for all my memory upgrades. I especially like their money-back guarantee if the memory their selector tool picks doesn't work in your PC.

Disclaimer: I currently work for Micron Technology, the corporate parent of Crucial. However, I used Crucial well before then.

Bob Pownall

Reply to
Bob Pownall

Thanks, Bob (and snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us)! Crucial is where I was tending toward, but I haven't bought extra memory in _many_ years. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

It is always worthwhile to check Ebay. I am going to pick up two one gb modules tomorrow. I paid $5 total. But these were not for laptops.

Take a look at 130729685469 Ebay item.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Do you run a 64 bit OS on it or a 32 bit OS which can handle more than

3GB (thus not Windows)?

I always buy Kingston.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Like others have said, Crucial is good. You can download a program form them that will tell you what is installed, and what additional memory your computer can take.

I buy a lot of memory from geeks.com, and Ebay.com for older RAM.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I buy quite a bit on eBay from random sources. As long as I know exactly what I'm buying, I don't have much trouble. However, if you're looking for a good vendor, I like:

For the X61s:

[I'm not involved in any way with the company except as a customer].
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reliable? Wherever you get it will likely be the same product. So "reliability" can only mean "Prompt shipment".

Best place to get it in my view is Amazon, because you will always get the best price and it will always come from the sources these other guys have given. So if "New Egg" has the best price, the Amazon hunt will find it and it will be in the list of "sources" you choose from.

Reply to
UNotBrightEnough

You are an idiot. Having more than 3GB on your system does NOT mean that it is "thus not Windows". And it has nothing to do with it being 32 or

64 bit either.

You are thus mentally impaired.

He asked about sources not brands, idiot.

Reply to
UNotBrightEnough

UNotBrightEnough wrote in news:jvll4a$lma$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Best source for memory?

Eat lots of spinach and carrots.

Your periferal equipment also improves.(Ask Popeye).

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

No. That is the best way to retain memories gained.

Lots of ways to enhance peripheral equipment as well.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I bought memory on Ebay,the seller shipped it USPS Priority Mail,with a tracking number,and the USPS -says- they delivered it to my complex's mail kiosk,but I never received it. Then they had the NERVE to tell me I was trying to defraud the USPS when I filed a claim. that was $80 down the drain. they STOLE my memory sticks.(256MB SDRAM)

My mail kiosk has small letterboxes for each tenant,and some larger package boxes,so when you have a package that doesn't fit in the letterbox,they put the key for the package box in your letterbox. I never got any key.

F-ing THIEVES.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

I would check the Lenovo site and see what they recommend. Some times the chipset requires specific timings. And then look else where from there and see if what crucial recommends is the same.

Martin Riddle

I've been using G.Skill lately, buying from New Egg. I've used Crucial and Kingston which worked fine. If your computer is Win7, better to get 8GB. 4GB is absolute minimum for Win7 and modern memory hog programs.

Reply to
qrk

Every 32bit OS has this issue. Memory Mapped I/O etc. has to have a place where it can function within the 4GB memory limit 32bit OS provides. See what happens when you install a graphics card with 1GB memory or more, for instance.

rev.11d.meow

it can function within the 4GB memory limit 32bit OS provides. See what happens when you install a graphics card with 1GB memory or more, for instance.

A fine example of clueless people helping other totally clueless people.

My 32bit Linux box happily uses 6GB of memory because Intel already has forseen that 4GB would not be enough and implemented PAE (Physical Address Externsion) in their processors since 1995.

Only Microsoft choose not to use this for their OSses. Linux works just fine (ofcources) with the right kernel.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

It varies by OS. XP maxes out at 4GB. However, other MS operating systems can address more RAM, depending mostly on how much you paid Microsoft for the operating system. MS uses PAE for product differentiation. See table on the XP page below:

PAE and XP

PAE and Windoze 7

Some PAE details:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have used Kingston, Crucial, Xos, and others, always the exact same stuff in any one computer. I am currently building a machine out and = have

16 GiB now and will go to 32 GiB soon; and no it is not built out yet, still in the pipe two 128 GB SSD drives and some other stuff. 6 core 3.6 GHz processor, 1 TB bulk storage, USB 3, GB Ethernet. All new = components, no blue ray yet.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Good new for you and your memory system:

bitterlemon40