OT: Best Glue

What would be the best glue to use to glue a STRONG magnet to a piece of plastic? (I think polystyrene, it's a magnifier that my wife sticks to her needlepoint pattern holder.) ...Jim Thompson

Use Duct tape!

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Use Duct tape!

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Superglue? (Total guess!)

Can you just sandwich the plastic between two magnets, and not use any glue? Or, (just thinking out loud), I've seen some rare earth type magnets with little holes in the middle. How about an aluminum or stainless rivet?

Reply to
mpm

I'd try hot-melt... Or epoxy, but hot-melt seems more flexible, which may help here.

Reply to
PeterD

--
I've had good luck with moderately fast cure (10-15 minute) 2 part
epoxy.

Not Glue, Adhesive foam tape. 3M VHB, the black stuff. Will stick to most things except water ;) Although the Grey version to also good. I think you can get thickness's down to 0.015"

Martin Riddle

Pull strength? These magnets are strong... so strong I may apply a layer of tape just to give a pull-reducing gap :-) ...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

construction adhesive is a pretty strong glue,good for many surfaces. Liquid Nails or similar.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Or, lose the adhesives entirely, and just position a small slug of iron or steel on the opposite side. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think some where around 150lb/in^2. This is the stuff for automotive trim.

Heres the data sheet...

Martin Riddle

Wow! Where does one buy small quantities? ...Jim Thompson

Can you screw a small piece of tinned iron to the device? Then you dont need glue.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Neodymium-Iron-Boron Magnets. Sounds difficult to drill? ...Jim Thompson

Just don't use the stuff Obama uses to stick his presidential seal to a podium. :-/

mv Windows /dev/null
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Not to the magnet, but to the device . The magnet just sticks to two strips.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I've found that Gorilla glue is the best GP glue. Sticks nearly anything to anything. As always, make sure everything is clean & dry. Find it in home improvement centers.

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Jorge or Larkin had mentioned

Here is what they have on hand...

I've used the 4926 (grey 95lb/in^2) 15mill for holding touchscreens to LCD panels. It doesn't separate easily ;) Wipe (scrub?) the surface with alcohol , let dry, then apply tape. The bond increases in strength over a 24 hr period. (Its in that data sheet)

The black VHB is for more finicky surfaces. But the grey may work for you.

Martin Riddle

Duh! Sorry for being slow :-( ...Jim Thompson

I figured that you would make your own, by boiling it down from useless leftards? ;-)

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!