OT: Best Free Email (POP Only)

Cox is driving me nuts with their nanny-state behavior...

Their Spam trap only allows options on where to send the spam after it's marked... no way to opt out of any marking... so just about everything I receive is marked "-- Spam --" :-(

So I'm looking for a free Email service that I can forward Email to from my website, then POP it to me.

Some service that won't stick ads into incoming mail.

Recommendations? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Are you hosting through your ISP? If not they shouldn't be messing with your mail.

I have an unlimited hosting account with eboundhost.com and can do a million different things with my email. I can use spam filtering or not or redirect it through Google to act as a spam filter, which is what I do.

If you are looking for inexpensive hosting, I would be willing to give you a free account under my hosting. I already do this for a number of my friends. Check out coldwatersafety.org.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 09:19:18 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

If you have an android type phone, you likely already have a gmail account. Perhaps that would facilitate a way to filter by source, thus making it easy for you to tell which are web site related. Especially if you do not actually already use the account. I do not know what filtration features it has. Likely varies from device to device.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Maybe Outlook.com. We have the hosted exchange and spam is really at a minimum, with virtually no false positives. You can set it up for POP. The Ad-Free outlook is $20/yr, it was hotmail-plus.

Martin Riddle

Gmail has a pop/smtp service you can enable. Works fine. Only problem, you need to go to their web interface to clean stuff out since the pop service is limited in scope.

Another option is pick up a $10/mo service that allows you to host a web site and use your own domain. They usually give you email service that has limit control over what you can do. The one I use allows .exe files which is important. Cox likes to filter everything.

--
Mark
Reply to

$10 a month is pricey. I believe I am paying $60 a year for unlimited domain hosting and have some half dozen accounts hosted. At one time I was hosting gnuarm.com and used over a TB of bandwidth per month.

--

Rick
Reply to

Hey, Mark How goes it? Still "pinging" ;-)

Cox must be leftist... all this nanny-state nonsense >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Spend a few bucks a month and do it right.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Real helpful, John =D> Spend it where? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Why POP? The only use of POP is in fetchmail scripts to then pass on the mail to a proper mailserver (as an alternative to setting up a mailserver that will receive the mail directly). POP is a hopeless choice if you are using a mail client - with normal setups, the single client pulls everything off the server. That means you can only connect one machine to the account, and when that machine fails or corrupts its mailfile, you have lost everything. (You can, in theory, leave mail undeleted on the server - but with POP that brings its own problems.)

I would /never/ recommend POP - use IMAP (or exchange, if you can't avoid it).

So with that in mind, you could do far worse than a gmail account - it is reliable, easy to use, works fine with IMAP, and has a workable web interface for when you need it.

Reply to
David Brown

On an ISP that has real customer support, and provides Spam Gauntlet.

SG quarantines and then deletes about 97% of my email, all the spam, with zero false positives and only a few marginal cases leaking through.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Ever hear of "mail.analog-innovations.com"? is so explain why it's not a good solution. if not you should definatily ask someone who knows about it.

it's already got a pop-3 server installed, you probably just need to setup the mailboxes not forward to your ISP and point your mail client at it.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

POP works fine for me, with Thunderbird. Most of my PCs are set to "leave messages on server" and my main PC is set to "delete after 30 days".

I only keep one PC neat, with all my mail nicely sorted and trimmed. Now and then I copy the Tbird profiles from that one to all the messy satellites.

I back up Profiles daily to a terabyte USB drive.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

It's not free, but I use the $6.95/month dialup4less plan. I was using them for dial up when I started using broadband and never changed my email address. No complaints for at least 10 years now.

Reply to
Wanderer

free? I use google's gmail for this. so far not much spam makes it to the inbox. have set up for text only, which may help. Images are filled in ONLY if you request, otherwise I get a lot of boxes and text.

With a google account you can also get voice line/mail. VERY cheap international calls, like $0.02/min to Brazil vs ?? free domestic calls, anywhere. And the capability for voice to text conversion and then google voice sends you THAT voice message as an email. Good for record keeping.

for cheap? Call BasicISP.net

BasicISP.net (800) 456-3118 PO Box 511 Mount Vernon, OH 43050

EVERYTIME I call them I reach a US citizen/person who gives knowledgeable help. basic access on the order of $90/yr ?? so far NO spam makes it to my INBOX.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Works... bypasses the Cox a..holes.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Yo Jim, Still pinging away, but moved the company to Austin, TX 1.5 years ago. Kind of a poopoo hole compared to SB.

--
Mark
Reply to

The snow must make it hard on your feet >:-}

Doing any chip designs? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Only if you set it up wrong. Plus most mail hosting outfits let you turn that off at the server. Even Gmail.

You've got that exactly backwards. With POP, you can have N local copies of everything. I have email backups going back into the 1980s, from half a dozen email servers. Good luck doing that with IMAP.

I use Rackspace, which I'm pretty happy with. AFAICT they don't spy on my mail to sell me stuff, either. I also have them automatically forward all my mail to another separate hosting company, so that I automatically have failover.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I have gmail up and running... perfectly fine for my needs... circumvents Cox' spam filtering.

I _was_ running POP from Cox, now from gmail, no big deal. As for confusing copies, I don't have that problem... my son Aaron wrote me a handler that forwards to my cell when I'm traveling, replies go back thru my PC, then outbound... the PC does the housekeeping, filing everything in its appropriate mailbox/folder.

Of course I'm running the most modern Email client ever... Eudora Pro v7.1.0.9 (paid mode, so I still have all those nice filtering mechanisms operational >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature