OT: Berkeley

OT: Berkeley...

Well deserved! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hmm, freedom of speech doesn't mean I have to listen to you. Protests are fine, I find the violence distasteful.

BTW I was listening to NPR last night (fresh-air) and they had someone on who knows Judge Gorsuch. He sounds like a good egg, the conservative version of Garland. I hope he gets approved without much fan fare. (I wish the Republicans had held hearing on Garland, and then rejected him. That would have left less of a bad taste in my mouth.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There are enough RINOs in the underbrush, and enough dirty money around that Garland might have got approved. Much safer to not let it come to a vote.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yep. The Constitution specifies the right to PEACIBLY assemble, NOT riot and destroy property or injure.

[snip]

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Strategically, it was probably a good move to stonewall. If Trump serves two terms and the Senate stays repub, we may have a strict-constructionist court for another 20 years.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Then all we need is to get rid of all the "legal realists" in the law school faculties. You know, the ones who find "penumbras" and "emanations" that allow them to legislate from the bench.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yabut, the Dem's won't forget, and then are looking for "pay back" in the future. The game of tit for tat, goes on. (Though it looks a long way off, they will be back in power sometime.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Right, I read somewhere the "bad eggs" were not part of the student body... Not that that is any sort of excuse.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Well it worked out well for you in the short term. I'm not sure what "strict constructionist" means, but the guy on NPR said Gorsuch is a Jeffersonian, vs Scalia who was more a Hamiltonian.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

n*****ts like this guy doesn't make it better,

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Or even so much as *hinder* people from going about their business (or attending a speech). The pepper-sprayer should get 10-20 years.

Reply to
krw

A strict-constructionist conservative SCJ would certainly be a novel thing.

In recent history "strict-constructionalist" has been code for "You get a pass so long as you have 'Co.' or 'Inc.' next to your name."

Reply to
bitrex

Unless the Trump administration finds a way to make clones of Sotomayor I think it's going rather difficult to fill the SC with constructionists.

Reply to
bitrex

No, the terms were already set by the "Biden rule". The Rs were just following the Ds lead, as they will with the Reid's "nuclear option".

It means that the Constitution is to be interpreted as it was plainly written and there isn't one penumbra in there anywhere.

That's the first bad thing I've heard about him.

Reply to
krw

It's "Conservative Code" for "If you're a 'job creator' you can do whatever you want."

Reply to
bitrex

Oh, good grief. It was *Biden's* rule. It's the Dems who have been paid back.

You really need to get your information from somewhere other than NPR.

Reply to
krw

krw

It's a great idea if any of the recent conservative SCJs actually do/did it. Which they don't/didn't!

Scalia certainly wasn't a constructionist - he decided cases based on his own whims and personal preferences all the time, as just about all judges either liberal or conservative tend to do.

Reply to
bitrex

Trump is threatening someone? Oh my God, that's so unusual!

Reply to
bitrex

A candidate whose campaign rallies often descended into chaotic crowd violence now presides over a country that often descends into chaotic crowd violence?

If only Joan Quigley could have been here to predict this...

Reply to
bitrex