OT: Bad storm here

Bad storm here worst one I have seen here locally, never before at this time of year, garden furniture flying through the air, on my plants :-( had to go out several times to fix things. Glad I am not on the water.

Hurricane 'Niklas' 150 km/h winds:

And I am even quite far away from it.

mm satellite dish still working! :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

GW will soon bring megacanes and you'll be looking for your garden furniture in the ionosphere...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

What is that link? The language is barely comprehensible as if it were translated through several different languages by computers. Is that a blog or something? They can't even spell correctly, "Storm ?Niklas? hurtles across the region". "Hurtles"??? Maybe they mean "turtles"...

Where exactly are you?

--

Rick
Reply to

It's in news in Europe

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

et/

Where are you? "Hurtle" is a perfectly good word in English - even Merriam- Webster lists it

The report clearly wasn't written by a native speaker of English, but it wa s posted by Jan Panteltje, whose native language is Dutch, and it is perfec tly comprehensible - at least to English-speakers whose vocabulary (stock o f words) includes the word "hurtle".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

,

reet/

m-Webster lists it

was posted by Jan Panteltje, whose native language is Dutch, and it is perf ectly comprehensible - at least to English-speakers whose vocabulary (stock of words) includes the word "hurtle".

Sorry to butt in, but...

"Intense hurricanes had been, according to the climate services in the morn ing on the Zugspitze (164 km / h), the Feldberg in the Black Forest (151) a nd on the Weinbiet in Neustadt measured on the Wine Route (148)." - from that linked article...

What does that say, Bill Sloman?

In any language...

Reply to
rev.11d.meow

And I am even quite far away from it.

FFS re-arrange it a bit according to the Teutonic grammar convention and you get:

"Intense hurricanes had been measured, according to the climate services in the morning, on the Zugspitze (164 km / h), the Feldberg in the Black Forest (151) and on the Weinbiet in Neustadt on the Wine Route (148)."

--
Chris.
Reply to

eet/

German does have a tendency to put the verb at the end of complex sentences . I first had German lessons in 1959, and while learning Dutch in 1994 pret ty much destroyed my capacity to speak or write German, Dutch does have the same tendency to put at least part of the verb at the end of the sentence (though they are less fanatic about it than the Germans) and the process le ft me with slightly better comprehension of spoken and written German than I had before.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On a sunny day (Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:51:02 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

I had hardly written that about the storm when a load ZOAAP sound broke the fence from the wall. It is (was an now is again) connected with brackets and screws to one side of the house. So I spend till it got dark fixing the fence, drilling new holes, adding an extra pole for strength. It held all night. I was lucky and had got some extra wood just the week before. Now try that in a hurricane! It is just training for fixing a mast on the ocean...

Pretty amazing, you could stand there, sort of 'well seems OK' and then 2 seconds later literally be blown 3 meters away! Gusts I think the word it. They had a funny weather alert here: do not go on the road with an empty van.. Seems they had a lot of those blown over...

It is all quiet now.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Funny, we had some high winds today for just some 10 or 15 minutes. It was a bit frightening. I went outside to see it better and looking at all the 70-80 foot trees around my house I decided to go back inside before a widow maker found its way to my head. I didn't see any birds for some time after it passed.

--

Rick
Reply to

You don't have to add much cross-section to the wind before it adds up to potentially tens of thousands of pounds force. Design your structures for 200MPH and never worry about them again.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

On a sunny day (Wed, 1 Apr 2015 04:53:25 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

That seems complicatiated... This is simpler:

Or is it?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Stormy in the Netherlands too !

Pizza boxes outside flying about =D

Bye, Skybuck =D

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Even the garbage sacks flying around.

Second storm I think, I see that.

This time it's pretty bad too.

Actually.

Here in the Netherlands, Trucks getting blown over...

Lots of em too.

Not the first time... but this time more reports about it I guess.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Also plenty of airtraffic at "Schiphol" cancelled.

I had a bad feeling two weeks ago... it came out to be true.

Last time I had that feeling was before MH17.

Coincidence...

Or a factor of variables in my head ?

Or am I paranomal/psychic. LOL... Me starting to wonder about that ! ;) =D

Maybe next time I have a bad feeling... I should post a warning =D

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

That happened to me one evening. There had been thunderstorms south of me. I surmised that it was outflow from them. Turns out that they were collapsing which caused the outflow to be so strong. Very interesting.

Reply to
John S
25 Trucks got blown over in the little country called The Netherlands =D

Apperently a new (storm) record =D

Bye, Skybuck =D

Reply to
Skybuck Flying