OT: Audacity noise removal question

On a sunny day (Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:05:43 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Just do not leave them DVDs or CDs in the sun. I just did a rescue today of one that the sun had colored in a funy way. Only one DVD reader could still read all of it. Else I would have to had re-author it. Of coure the MATSHITADVD-RAM drive in teh new Samsung laptop could not... what has the world come to. LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

So what "things"? :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:02:38 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

THINGS

It is not your business Joe.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Oh well ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hurumph!

Now that all the editing works and I think I've got a decent audio recording Audacity will not play through the PC sound system any longer. No sound. All other audio sources such as Internet radio or my EMC radio that goes through USB works just like usual. With Audacity I can see its green VU meters wiggle happily but no output volume. Restarts and switching to every conceivable device setting doesn't bring it back.

Any ideas?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

CD-R CD-RW DVD etc, buy them at the supermarket, or from farnell, or the office supplies place, next time you buy food, or parts, or paper.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

open the sound card's mixer controls, check all the settings.

also, in audacity edit-prefernces-devices (they mave have moved that in version 2)

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Did all that, no dice :-(

Maybe it croaked and needs a re-install. Making audio CD's is clearly not my favorite turf. Made a CD-RW yesterday and it will only play on the living room stereo but not in the car. But the living room stereo can't fats forward within a stretch that has no markers (like within a song) while the car player can.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I will next week when I get to Placerville. Got a few already. Thing is, where we live buying horse feed, steer manure, saddles or cowboy hats is easy. Tech stuff is not so easy, anything beyond a clock radio.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Documentation is scarce on server 2000, since Microsoft recently dropped support. I just found that there was a 'Preinstallation disk', that may have the RIS server. It was to be used with Win 2000 or XP, of which I have both. All they want the server for is their bookkeeping and website design files, so it will be low usage. Now, they are talking about a brand new $300 'small business server' and don't belive me that it won't do what they want. No RAID, or automatic file backup, so they might as well use an old XP desktop and take their chances.

Michael A. Terrell

I'm pretty certain SBS does support RAID. I've never been fond of the back utilities that come with Windows in the first place -- they're usually quite restrictive and annoying to use relative to (often even free) 3rd-party apps.

$300 is cheap for SBS if it's the current version (2011), though -- they must be getting some sort of discount?

It is a bit overkill if all they want is a file server -- you're right of course that any server OS or even desktop OS PC could do that, but I'd kinda be tempted to get them (if funds allowed) a NAS box that supported RAID and automated backups.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

KDE4 is fine. I think I was having wifi trouble on gnome 3. If you are going to have issues, it almost always comes down to some device that uses a driver.

Reply to
miso

The technology in car stereos always seem to lag behind what's available for home use. It could be that your car stereo is not compatible with CD-RW - mine isn't, and it's a 2007 model that plays MP3 format. Try using CD-R instead, they're more reflective than CD-RW media.

Reply to
JW

I saw the server they were talking about, and it isn't windows based, so it can't be used. The one that vendor has is $949 & shipping, with Server 2008.

If you want a cheap server there are plenty on Ebay, less an OS and some have no hard drives but I won two for $19.99 each. A Dell 725N and a 2650. The first uses IDE drives, the second SCSI. I am going to install Apache server & Joomla on one, to learn more web design skills.

I also found out the 'expert' at Intuit was wrong. Quickbooks 2012 won't run on Server 2000, unless you move up to a package that costs another $3000. If you do that, it will run on Linux based servers as well.

Michael A. Terrell

Somewhat.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

find

CD

Maxell has always been good for me.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

KDE.

Akonadi and i do not get along, it underlies kmail2 and a few other tools in KDE4. If you read the groups i am so not alone.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Thanks, Maxell it is then, will get some next week :-)

Yesterday I burned two CDs of the write-once kind. That allowed it to play in the car stereo. Works, and in contrast to our living room stereo it allowed fast-forward. It fast-forwarded a bit more haltingly than with music CD, no idea why, but it hopefully allows people who don't want to listen to the eulogies to skip to the sermon. Or skip over the singing parts.