OT: Audacity noise removal question

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Mar 2012 07:48:52 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Never had a problem buying them. I think you were ignorant of Dutch electronics shops. Philips used programmable UJTs in their ultrasound remote controls, a mass product at that time.

And I have to add, that if 'electuur' (elektor) published a hobby project, then all the electronic parts shops would stock up on the parts. Some even advertised in the same magazine. Radio Bulletin, Elektuur, radio Electronica, all of that time. Elektuur then even had kits and ready made PCBs of very high quality. One supported the other. Yes parts cost money, hey, but not really that much to stop people building things. Were very good times for electronic tinkerers, and actually still are.

What was Elektuur named before it was named 'Elektuur'? Cannot seem to remember. Go further back, remember Dr Blan? :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

We did regular "electronics pilgrimage" trips to the Netherlands. But most stores there dealt more in military surplus. I was intimately familiar with the offerings of mail order shops and no affordable UJTs there. A transistor that cost several Guilders was not something I considered affordable.

Is there a schematic on the web? Ultrasound remotes didn't have much of a production life because they did not work very well. Unfortunately they then went IR instead of RF.

I am not too surprised :-)

It means that a part is not very mainstream so there is a serious risk of obsolescence. This is almost the worst that can happen on a design that must remain in mass production for a decade or more. Some of my designs are well past their 15th year in production.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg
[...]

Still, I have never seen an affordable UJT back then. But the world did not really need them anyhow, it was more "technology looking for a home". And now they all but vanished, which isn't a surprise to me.

Since I also do EMC consulting I get to see lots of electronics, inlcuding older stuff that suddenly has to be redesigned to pass a higher emissions class or must be ruggedized for susceptibility. Never seen UJTs in any of this.

Don't know, it was Elektor in Germany. I never had a high regard for that magazine. A lot of errors in schematics, bugs that I discovered even as a teenager. Sometimes I had the impression there were chunks in there just to fill the magazine.

My source of information was usually from the US, for example ARRL publications. Also sometimes the German and Dutch ham radio magazines.

No. But I do have the Vonkenboer :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:21:07 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

You are soooooo The 2N2646 has been around since the earth was created,

That is really nothing, 2012 - 15 = 1997.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:28:34 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Vanished> RS still has them in stock! By your owon definition, a part that lasts more than 40 years and it still available today.

But Joerg, you have seen only a small part of the world :-)

That explains it., all teh part numbers were different, strange tube names, of course you could not get those., Whats a DL92 in hw US? I would have to look it up.

Dr Blan was a small magazine with all sots of kid electronics projects, in the late fifties and early sixties. One thing I remember was the jampot radio, sort of a crystal radio:

Jan Panteltje

Cow Dung Recycling Widget?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

Having once spent (wasted?) three days troubleshooting an intermittent problem on the controller for an ink drying oven on a massive web offset printing machine, that had already fazed several people, eventually tracing it to a flaky UJT, I know what I'd *like* to do with the damn things.

Still, it was a long time ago, and a long way away.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

Obviously you haven't checked prices on that thing lately. It's a prime example of boutiqueware.

So how about your designs? I mean stuff where there's a few thousand rolling off the line per month.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

available today.

I meant at reasonable cost. You honestly believe an engineer in his right mind would design a mundane oscillator using a transistor that costs over a Dollar and only comes in ancient TO cans? Those are caveman parts :-)

A lot of it, actually. But I did make it into the 21st century and TO-can parts don't belong there. For hobbyists they can be ok.

When I started out as an engineer in 1986 we already designed everything in SMT. No dinosaur parts there.

I had no problems obtaining parts for ARRL projects. It was not rocket science to find out the equivalent Valvo/Philips tubes. When I was around 12 I invested in two very valuable (yet cheap) books: Tube and transistor data and comparison tables from Franzis Verlag in Germany.

Occasionally it was necessary to recalculate a cathode resistor or something. Many times I tried to get away with P-tubes since they could be found in discraded TV sets. As in "free".

In the late 50's I still wore diapers :-)

We had similar stuff in Germany, the radio in the soap container and stuff like that. I might still have mine somewhere. Mom was very miffed when she found the soap container in my room and it already had holes in it for the variable capacitor and the banana jacks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

and=20

every time

Actually, popping to root via su - hardly bothers me. Of course if i had spent the time to properly setup sudoers, i wouldn't even have to do = that.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

every

is

And i really love being able to get into the machine from another via = ssh. It can be really handy when a desktop jams up.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

and

every time

time.

Now is that gnome 2 or 3? Likewise KDE 3 or 4?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

burn,

4x.

CDs

:-)

Get Fuji instead, better quality. Verbatim has been poor quality for decades.

Reply to
josephkk

example.

No. It is either uucp or rsync, both far more valuable in the general case and far less likely to be destructive if misused.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:22:22 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

They do not fall of the line, they keep rolling on!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:59:04 -0700) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

Is that not a bit silly? I have repaired so many stuff in my life, and seen every defective component. Does that make me hate resistors? Capacitors? transistors? .... coils even? transformers? tubes? fuses? wires? connectors? PCBs? whatever else have you? No way.

Sure some manufacturers made crap sometimes, not so long ago we had the electrolytic caps in the PCs... Hey that is what keeps repair shops running.

Many things you can do with an UJT you can do with a 555 timer. Now you need a chip. Some people here do not like 555 either. Some things you can do with a 555 you can do with a PIC. Some people do not like PICs either Some things you can do with a PIC you can do with a PC. Some people....

That just reminded me that NASA, with help of Von Braun's genius if you please, could fly to the moon and come back with the simplest of electronics and computah. And now, with all them zillion cores, not only could they not read their old designs, they cannot even reach lower earth orbit anymore. They should have sticked with them old UJTs or the like, More reliable, cheaper, and probably faster to the moon and back.

:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

What did you design?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

Other than that, the stores in the area usually have Memorex. Where I had not such great experience in the days of floppies. Are they better with CDs then?

I don't really want to do a mail order just for one small spindle of CD blanks.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Correction, just remembered that they built a new Walgreens out here. Aat least according to their web site they have Maxell and Sony. I guess those would be good brands.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:55:01 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Oh so many things, very good change you used it without even knowing. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje