OT: Audacity noise removal question

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Mar 2012 13:19:20 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Not that close, but we have mail order. Maybe one day over there too? :-)

Today is Sunday here.

I ordered a lot of parts today via internet.

With some luck it will be here this week. Some very nice photo diodes too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I only do that when I need a lot or something is super urgent. In this case it's not very urgent and I'll just get some the next time I drive into Placerville. Which will be this week. Shipping isn't much faster unless you pay a lot.

Typically you can only get bulk packs which in the case of CDs I'll never use up. So wasting one or even two isn't going to break the bank.

I'll be ... it's Sunday here, too :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Mar 2012 13:38:47 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

There is s small issue with CDs and DVDs here. The powers of government in the Netherlands have decided to add some extra to the price of each CD or DVD, and supposedly that extra goes to the artist club. I have never got anything for the copies I make of my own work from that club, and still have to pay the surcharge (everyone does). So I used to get the DVDs from Germany via mail order, where there was no such surcharge, but then last year somebody apparently did threaten to close the German shop, as probably half of the Netherlands started buying there, It is not much if you only buy one DVD, but a lot of you buy in hundreds.

I have heard imports from mars are still possible.

It is a bit like 'luister en kijkgeld' was, I never payed anything in my life, as I obviously had no teafee and radio... Then finally they just did away with it and payed the National broadcasters (mind control network) from the taxes, So now I have a teafee and radio.

I remember in the last year, before 'luister en kijkgeld' was abandoned, they got really heavy with threads and folders etc. maybe one day they will stop that crap with DVDs too. Germany still has it.... Can get you in trouble if you do not pay.

Hey I also ordered some nice UJTs 2N2646... ebay.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

the price

surcharge,

I believe Germany collects such "pirate copy anticipation tax" when you buy the CD or DVD recorder. It is IMHO disgusting, to automatically assume people will do illegal copying and just charge everyone. I have never pirated a single song and would be very miffed if charged such taxes.

Maybe when I retired I can play with old stuff again as well. But most likely not because then I'll expand my non-EE assignments in life.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

working.

xmpegedit

=20

Just the same soupy, the things Linus is complaining about are valid complaints. And they are dumb security policy decisions.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

makes it

"Import",

editing.

make a difference)

just

lame and

him.

That's a fubar licence problem rather than a fubar hardware problem then, ain't it.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

who

Never was. Audacity came from the *nix world, CEP never was there.

Reply to
josephkk

The idea is if the program crashes, the hacker is left in an account that doesn't have root permission. Beyond that, there probably isn't much benefit to not running as root.

Opensuse doesn't exactly have SElinux running by default. They use appguard. I don't know the fine details on this, but my understanding is appguard is not as good as full blown SElinux, but considered a compromise. SELinux is so annoying that nobody uses it.

Reply to
miso

It could be a matter of where you live. I get CD-Rs for about a dime. I don't mind wasting a few. DVDs are about a quarter.

In the dark ages when the media was expensive, I messed with rewriteable, Now I make frisbees if need be.

The paper sleeves are the real ripoff!

Reply to
miso

amplitude.

to normalise the audio. E.g.

-s

Normalizing is processing 101. The problem with using sox for this is you don't get to examine where in the stream the peak occurred. If some clown bumped the microphone, it is better to go to the spot and attenuate the bump rather than to let that bump set the audio level for the entire recording.

The other thing is audacity is at this point a standard. You have a problem, you can find plenty of people writing about the same issue.

Reply to
miso

dd comes in handy for some linux drivers that need to upload firmware to the device. Really a pain in the ass. You need to get the windows driver and use dd to pull out the firmware. I've seen this on some USB satellite receivers.

Reply to
miso

Looks useful for many things, but it doesn't see my raw files. However, being able to crop a jpg in a lossless manner is very useful.

Reply to
miso

I have been laughing at the thread.

Reply to
WhySoSerious?

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:14:47 -0700) it happened miso wrote in :

Right. When online there were plenty of attempts at logging in at the ssh port by trying all sorts of passwords. Best is just to run ssh on a different port, takes care of the crowd. Disable telnet perhaps. Allow no uploads in the ftp server either. And be very careful with apache config, and php config. And then there is the databases...

When browsing watch out for cross-site scripting. etc etc

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:26:20 -0700) it happened miso wrote in :

I recently bought a Terratec Cinergy S2 USB HD satellite receiver box. It does exactly that, grabs firmware from /lib/firmware/dvb-fe-ds300x.fw At least it should. The Linux driver is 100% broken, and it crapped out again last night. No way to fix it, the chips have no datasheet. The way I figured out to bring it back alive again without unplugging is to reset the USB port, this is possible:

echo "3-3" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind sleep 1 echo "3-3" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/bind sleep 1

echo "3-3" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind sleep 1 echo "3-3" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/bind sleep 1

That powers off and then on again the USB3 port it plugged into.

2 times, so it actually loads the firmware again...

The Linux USB 3 driver (at least for this chip) is broken too.

For the rest if it works it is a nice sat receiver. Luckily I also have a Hauppauge winTV nova PCI, with good drivers.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:23:20 -0700) it happened miso wrote in :

amplitude.

to normalise the audio. E.g.

-s

You can also find plenty of people writing about Santa. It is important to know what you are doing. And that assumes you have actually listened to the source at least once. So based on that you can then chose the tools. xpequ and the AGC option will fix a lot of speech stuff, also the ones where the recording sound technician changed the mike level repeatedly (I have some recordings like that), even one where they added mike screens halfway. I don't know if audacity is a standard, are doughnuts a standard? My standard is a scope. And there is also xoscope, and plenty of other program that display an audio waveform, or wave file amplitudes.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:18:48 -0700) it happened miso wrote in :

Were those the days where you quoted who and what you were replying to, and have you stopped doing that because you think it saves enough on buying computah power so you can make coasters?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Mar 2012 14:32:14 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

It is very strange to hear such contradictory remarks from someone who once claimed to want to save on every part. Think about it. Or maybe you do not know what you can do with an UJT.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Of course I know, those things were in a lot of worthless hobby electronics instructions when I was a kid. The authors were either ignorant or simply didn't know that those UJTs were either unobtanium or very expensive.

You have probably never designed anything for true mass production. I frequently do. Go on a distributor web site and check. You will find a few left-over UJTs. However, they cost 10c or more which, in a consumer app, is a ton of money. Secondly, they are only available in TO packages. That was ok in the 70's but since the 80's, not anymore.

Hint: What isn't available in large quantities from major distributors is usually no good for a successful design.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Mar 2012 07:48:52 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Never had a problem buying them. I think you were ignorant of Dutch electronics shops. Philips used programmable UJTs in their ultrasound remote controls, a mass product at that time.

Sorry, makes no sense to me.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje