OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having ... - Page 3

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

Oh really?  Where did you talk to him?  Was it a rally with greatly exaggerated crowd sizes?

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

You're proving my point, moron.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

I always thought he was lying about crowd sizes. Nice of you to confirm.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

I was talking about you (and Nancy), moron.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

Nobody takes krw's ideas seriously, so whatever krw thinks he is talking about he's actually just revealing more of his cognitive deficit.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

Oh. Unfortunate your statements seem to be describing Trump.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

Again, you work hard to prove me right.  It's not necessary.  It's
obvious.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

I work hard to annoy you because your responses are some of the most baseless, insulting, and vague on SED.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

You wouldn't know hard work if it bit you in your snowlake ass.  I
can't help it if you're illiterate but knock yourself out.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

So if it is your anecdote it must be true.

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

In the UK, it is traditional that 3 years into its reign
the government accuses the BBC of being biassed against
it. That is true for /all/ governments, /both/ left wing
and right wing. Most people quite reasonably take the
view that implies the BBC is getting it Just About Right.

I wouldn't want to comment on NPR, but perhaps it is
A Good Thing to have some balance to Fox/Limburger etc.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"
.

I think it's impossible to be totally unbiased, but NPR and BBC (as far as
reporting US news) is fairly close.  They don't have the usual sensationali
sm that standard news networks need to draw in listeners, and they do stori
es that are sometimes 5, 10 minutes long which would be unheard of on netwo
rk news....that is, unless, it's something major like the hurricane which N
BC spent nearly the entire 30 minute Nightly News on yesterday.

It may simply be difficult to get reporters who are extreme one way or anot
her to work for NPR and BBC, not that this would be desirable, IMHO.

I'm more familiar with NPR than BBC, and I've heard reporters on NPR say ma
ny times during a story something along the lines of "some say this is bein
g blown out of proportion, what do you say to that" during some Trump story
, for example.  I do think NPR attempts to be unbiased, something I can't s
ay for some other networks, for example Fox and MSNBC which unabashedly cat
er to their own demographic.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"
ote:
tamper
images?  And I'm not talking about anyone from either end of the politicall
y extreme; I think most do not identify with them.
radar images for some ulterior motive is laughable and paranoid.
nition
 the
-most-powerful-atlantic-hurricane-ever-recorded/
 suggests that the current orthodoxy on anthropogenic global warming is in
any way suspect. He's been through the statistics to find examples that don
't tie up with current news reporting (according to his understanding of wh
at the reporters are saying, which is biased towards finding something he c
an diagree with). He an ex-TV weather front man, and doesn't seem to have a
ny kind of academic qualification - which wouldn't have stopped him learnin
g enough to have useful opinions if he'd gone to the trouble, not that he s
eems to have done that.
 and the LA Times says it's the 2nd strongest, The Daily Beast says it's st
ronger than all others in 2017, and The Independent says one of the stronge
st.  The link you reference refers to IFL Science, a website I'm not famili
ar with.
twork
t Atlantic hurricane ever is noteworthy.  It's not like this is of any real
 significance; it's going to cause great property loss and some loss of lif
e regardless.  And it's not like either political party is going to gain an
ything significant weather it is or isn't.  Exaggerating crowd sizes, on th
e other hand, is of obvious political importance.
in the article (minus the comments), and not finding it in this thread.  Bu
t since you asked, this seems quite subjective to me.  For example, a house
 that's damaged could just as well be destroyed if it has to be completely
torn down and rebuilt.
then
quate explanation. Reporters tend to record more material than makes it to
air, and editors have been known to take out the explanatory bits where the
 reporter might have said that while those house were destroyed, these hous
es were merely damaged. Explanation is vital, but it doesn't hold the viewe
r's attention like the image of a well-trashed house
rial
ion".
d "destroyed" as opposed to "damaged"?
 down to the foundations and start over. What may still be standing may not
 be in good shape.
se may look trashed and still be easily repairable?
istinguish between "damaged" houses and "destroyed" houses in an aerial vie
w.
e.

And you can judge that from an aerial photograph.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

Maybe you can, but I cannot.  I saw it on a news broadcast.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"
te:
er
a tamper
h images?  And I'm not talking about anyone from either end of the politica
lly extreme; I think most do not identify with them.
r radar images for some ulterior motive is laughable and paranoid.
finition
in the
he-most-powerful-atlantic-hurricane-ever-recorded/
at suggests that the current orthodoxy on anthropogenic global warming is i
n any way suspect. He's been through the statistics to find examples that d
on't tie up with current news reporting (according to his understanding of
what the reporters are saying, which is biased towards finding something he
 can diagree with). He an ex-TV weather front man, and doesn't seem to have
 any kind of academic qualification - which wouldn't have stopped him learn
ing enough to have useful opinions if he'd gone to the trouble, not that he
 seems to have done that.
ch and the LA Times says it's the 2nd strongest, The Daily Beast says it's
stronger than all others in 2017, and The Independent says one of the stron
gest.  The link you reference refers to IFL Science, a website I'm not fami
liar with.
network
est Atlantic hurricane ever is noteworthy.  It's not like this is of any re
al significance; it's going to cause great property loss and some loss of l
ife regardless.  And it's not like either political party is going to gain
anything significant weather it is or isn't.  Exaggerating crowd sizes, on
the other hand, is of obvious political importance.
t in the article (minus the comments), and not finding it in this thread.
But since you asked, this seems quite subjective to me.  For example, a hou
se that's damaged could just as well be destroyed if it has to be completel
y torn down and rebuilt.
, then
ark
dequate explanation. Reporters tend to record more material than makes it t
o air, and editors have been known to take out the explanatory bits where t
he reporter might have said that while those house were destroyed, these ho
uses were merely damaged. Explanation is vital, but it doesn't hold the vie
wer's attention like the image of a well-trashed house
aerial
ction".
ked "destroyed" as opposed to "damaged"?
ue down to the foundations and start over. What may still be standing may n
ot be in good shape.
ouse may look trashed and still be easily repairable?
 distinguish between "damaged" houses and "destroyed" houses in an aerial v
iew.
are.

What you wrote (11 hours ago) which struck me as odd was

"They said some island had some high % destruction, then showed an aerial
view where there was a lot of damage, but not all that was "destruction"."

I'm still wondering how you could deduce that from an aerial view you saw o
n a news broadcast. I can appreciate that you don't like the way the media
sensationalises the news, but spectacularly intense hurricanes do do sensat
ional amounts of damage.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

yes, so all they have to do is report accurately.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"
On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 22:04:16 -0700, Taxed and Spent

Only what suits their political agenda.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"
On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 12:25:34 AM UTC+10, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrot
e:
rote:
after
edia tamper
with images?  And I'm not talking about anyone from either end of the polit
ically extreme; I think most do not identify with them.
e or radar images for some ulterior motive is laughable and paranoid.
 definition
er in the
t-the-most-powerful-atlantic-hurricane-ever-recorded/
 that suggests that the current orthodoxy on anthropogenic global warming i
s in any way suspect. He's been through the statistics to find examples tha
t don't tie up with current news reporting (according to his understanding
of what the reporters are saying, which is biased towards finding something
 he can diagree with). He an ex-TV weather front man, and doesn't seem to h
ave any kind of academic qualification - which wouldn't have stopped him le
arning enough to have useful opinions if he'd gone to the trouble, not that
 he seems to have done that.
earch and the LA Times says it's the 2nd strongest, The Daily Beast says it
's stronger than all others in 2017, and The Independent says one of the st
rongest.  The link you reference refers to IFL Science, a website I'm not f
amiliar with.
ar network
iggest Atlantic hurricane ever is noteworthy.  It's not like this is of any
 real significance; it's going to cause great property loss and some loss o
f life regardless.  And it's not like either political party is going to ga
in anything significant weather it is or isn't.  Exaggerating crowd sizes,
on the other hand, is of obvious political importance.
g it in the article (minus the comments), and not finding it in this thread
.  But since you asked, this seems quite subjective to me.  For example, a
house that's damaged could just as well be destroyed if it has to be comple
tely torn down and rebuilt.
yed, then
r mark
n adequate explanation. Reporters tend to record more material than makes i
t to air, and editors have been known to take out the explanatory bits wher
e the reporter might have said that while those house were destroyed, these
 houses were merely damaged. Explanation is vital, but it doesn't hold the
viewer's attention like the image of a well-trashed house
an aerial
truction".
looked "destroyed" as opposed to "damaged"?
sidue down to the foundations and start over. What may still be standing ma
y not be in good shape.
A house may look trashed and still be easily repairable?
can distinguish between "damaged" houses and "destroyed" houses in an aeria
l view.
on are.
the
eet
 not
ial
n"."
saw on a news broadcast. I can appreciate that you don't like the way the m
edia sensationalises the news, but spectacularly intense hurricanes do do s
ensational amounts of damage.

It's kind of difficult to report spectacular hurricane damage in a way that
 suits a particular political agenda. The damage tends to throw up images t
hat every reporter will grab, no matter what the political implications.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

How naive.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"
On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 17:28:39 -0700, Taxed and Spent

[snip]

So naive you can't resist feeding the troll ?>:-}

                                        ...Jim Thompson