OT: Anybody old enough to remember Mad Magazine? (trans-partisan humour)

Anyway, there was some big whoopla a century or so ago about the "Golden Spike" that completed the first transcontinental railroad, and about a half century ago Mad magazine did this gag that has just been independently rediscovered:

Anybody remember the original, or who the artist was? Mort Drucker?

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I have a collection of Mad mags, and no, you can't have any...

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

The modern-day remedy: (Vote the bums out; a pox on both their houses.)

JeffM

There was an interstate in AZ or New Mexico that met like that in the

70's. Can't remember exactly where.

Martin Riddle

I10. The "progressives" fought any highway thru town. In my early years in AZ I had to drive to Wickenburg to get onto I10W to LA :-(, or to Casa Grande to get onto I10E :-( ...Jim Thompson

How much are you paying for someone else to do your homewwork?

Michael A. Terrell

So it was AZ. I remember when we were out there with the trailer visiting every piece of wood that turned to rock. The road became very wide and the road markings were sort forced to comply with the mistake. My dad had pointed it out, 'Look someone royally screwed up!'

Martin Riddle

Jim Thomps>I10. The "progressives" fought any highway thru town.

Pfffff. Let's get a story with some actual gory content: I used to constantly hear about another stretch of road. Start with the worst

and narrow it down to the worst of the worst.
The business owners in town (guess what their ideology was) would never allow the Interstate to bypass the town.

Everyone traveling I-95 had to come down from highway speed and dick with a series of poorly-timed traffic lights (or well-timed, if you were a greedy dirtbag). Many died because someone couldn't make the transition.

Well, at least you got there alive.

Reply to
JeffM

What? Me worry?

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

I have over 50 years of them, on a DVD. That is over 600 issues. :)

Product Features

  • Every issue of MAD Magazine on 2 DVDs * Read every single page as they were originally published - all the stories, letters pages, articles, and advertisements * Includes video clip interviews from the MAD writers and clips of Spy vs Spy animation * Over 600 complete printable issues, cover to cover, that?s over
17,500 scanned pages in full color * A truly interactive experience and can leverage the success of the late night show to introduce MAD Magazine to an entire new generation of consumers. * Over 600 complete printable issues, cover to cover, that's over 17,500 scanned pages in full color

Published around 2004

Michael A. Terrell