OT: Another Win7 Question

Is there a way to suppress showing zip and rar files as directories in Explorer? Other than the regedit thingy?

BTW, ALL of my XP programs except one utility, ClipPath, are working in Win7... and that capability is built into Explorer. ...Jim Thompson

Yes. Install 7-Zip: The default icon for a ZIP file then becomes a folder with a vertical zipper. While similar to the default Windoze folder, it's sufficiently different to be easily noticeable. Also, right click any file, select 7-Zip, and you get a large shopping list of things you can do to the file. Most commonly, I use: Extract to "zip_name\"

If you don't like that, here's how to edit icons in Win 7:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Not trying to give you a hard time, but is this really an issue? I find sometimes it is a bit of a nuisance, but mostly it is nice to have zip files treated as folders.

--

Rick
Reply to

Perfect! Thanks, Jeff! Been a week getting all my schtuff ported to this new machine, but just about done... I have a gazillion utilities, gadgets, gimmicks and specialty print drivers to simplify my life ;-)

Except for the nasty scare of PSpice not working initially (solved by manually adding the missing environment variable), everything has gone smoothly. ...Jim Thompson

On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 09:17:07 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

It is NOT "shown as a directory", ya dope! PUT ON SOME GLASSES AND LOOK AT IT CLOSER.

Not only that, but you CAN ALSO choose a different icon with which to "show" them.

Dirt dumb and dirt dumb about Windows too.

Wow. And here I thought the Donald was a buffoon.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Y'er welcome.

Computahs make things easier, not simpler.

I suggest you download and install Belarc Advisor (free): It will produce an inventory list of what's inside your machine including version numbers, serial numbers, magic unlocking codes, updates, and some configuration information. Print the report, stuff it into an envelope, and cram it into the bottom of your desktop machine. If you ever need to know what was inside the machine, it's all there. I also use the report as a checklist for such migration exercises as you're now doing.

I hate it when that happens. In order to support my decadent and lavish lifestyle, I need more computer problems, issues, and failures. My motto, which is on my business stationary, is: If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me. When something goes smoothly, I don't make any money. Oh well, maybe the next upgrade in about 5 years.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Ummm... could you honor a request for me? Can you write something nice about someone or something? Any person or topic will suffice.

I've been reading your comments for quite some time and don't recall you ever offering a compliment or positive remark. Even useful information is usually accompanied by some form of derogatory insult, such as the above. I'm just curious if you are actually capable of generating a compliment or positive remark.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Why do you respond to him? I just try to ignore such posts. I take it you find it hard to believe anyone could be that obnoxious... Here? Really?

--

Rick
Reply to

Killfile DecadentLoser. An unfed troll gathers no podium. ...Jim Thompson

                    Age gets better with wine!

On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 18:08:16 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

You have obviously never reviewed the treatment this particular asswipe has dished up to me over the last three decades (nearly).

So no... He, in particular, gets no quarter, until he, in particular, gets off his retarded high hobby horse of abusing folks in Usenet.

Sorry that you are so tunnel blind about it.

Snipped the rest of you stupid remarks as a result.

I remember. It matters not whether you do or not.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 21:20:04 -0400, rickman Gave us:

You asked about a font size issue and I gave you the answer. You are just too Jim Dandy Usenet filter happy to have a clue.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 18:08:16 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

Maybe I'll consider it if you stop using a retarded term with which to refer to a computer. Quite childish, actually..

School was a very long time ago, child.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 18:08:16 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

My first response to his (this) PDF post thread was the right response and had no other comment.

Tunnel blind much?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 18:52:04 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Were that true, you would get zero responses, troll.

By definition, you and your peanut gallery responses for years here qualifies you as such.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Seconding 7-Zip. *.7z is also slightly better than most, and FOSS if you like that sort of thing.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Would you expect anything different from a warped, frustrated old lesbian like DimBulb?

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

This was your initial response to Jim Thomson's PDF question:

The current thread is about ZIP and RAR icons, to which you answered:

Both examples fail to match your description of your own postings. Also, please make an effort identify your own postings, so that readers are not required to search all over the newsgroup for them.

I presume you're not going to demonstrate that you have the capacity to offer a positive statement about people or things. I just read your last 20 odd comments in s.e.d. and found all of them contained at least one insult or derogatory comment. I suspected that you wouldn't be able to do it, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks for the confirmation.

I brought home a free semi-working Tek 475m scope. Yet another project. I'll be a bit busy for the next few daze.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 05 Sep 2015 17:10:59 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

Yep. Looks like you took the blinders off for a day.

Note that it does not match your claim.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 05 Sep 2015 17:10:59 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

Not about you apparently.

You're an idiot.... at best. Com - pooter - boy.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

An unfed troll gathers no moss, or a podium >:-} ...Jim Thompson