OT, An Obituary to keep you on the straight and narrow

That's 6/27. From the same paper 7/7:

Bob Engelhardt

An honest obituary and true words. Thanks.

Reply to
bitrex

Not sure I understand, were they two obits submitted by different family members? Is the one I posted a fake? Is the second a re=submission after the original submitter got a lot of flack from other family members? Inquiring minds want to know! I saw it on another group, thought it was interesting. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Family with "factions" - some who are cognizant of the truth, others who want to live in denial, perhaps.

Not uncommon. Parents with drug addiction/mental health problems often idealize one set of family members and scapegoat others.

Reply to
bitrex

Oh, you personally knew this woman, did you?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

i.e. parents with Cluster B personality disorders:

Are chameleons - they can be sweet as pie to the family members they like, and turn on a dime and treat the ones they don't (for whatever reason) like garbage, completely effortlessly.

Both obits could be "true". From a certain point of view.

Reply to
bitrex

No, I do not and have no idea if this particular evaluation is honest, in this particular circumstance. Maybe so, maybe not. Maybe depends on who you ask.

But the sentiment is true, in the sense that it's an old story, which repeats over and over again.

Reply to
bitrex

Bitrex _probably_ is a doper >:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

And yet you declared it to be "an honest obituary."

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes, in the sense that _if_ the situation was as described (which would certainly be impossible for most any other reader to know, either) then the obituary, likely written by the family or members of the family, was an honest assessment of that situation and not a public-relations construction laced with saccharine sentimentality about a relative that actually behaved in life in a way which was much different, in reality.

I.e. not claiming that someone who was an abusive asshole most of the time was not so after their death simply because it's "wrong" to "speak ill of the dead." Get it?

You either got a pedantry problem or an English comprehension problem, I don't know which.

Reply to
bitrex

Most obituaries are total bullshit.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Well, total bullshit is often what keeps the world of the living humming along, and obituaries are for the living, not for the dead.

Reply to
bitrex

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson at the top of his form.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to