OT All our mice are broken

This might be my favorite science podcast of the decade. It's very slow getting started... gets going about 38 minutes in...

Science story summary: Bret W. hears about telemere's, (counters at the ends of cell DNA.. if there is a copy function in a cell then the number of telemeres is the range (# times to run loop) instruction. ) Telemeres protect against cancer.. so short lived animals should have a short length... but lab rats had long telemeres? WTF? and then the story.. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It might be explained that perhaps there was intentional misdirection in the HHGttG? It wasn't mice who were running the experiment but the rats!

42 and all that...

Thanks for the link!

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

George Herold wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Ahhhh... Bach...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

When Tucker analyzed the extremes of milk drinkers, adults who consumed whole milk had telomeres that were a striking 145 base pairs shorter than non-fat milk drinkers.

Reply to
Sea

Which is cause and which is effect?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Sea wrote in news:r05nbv$83a$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Now I have to stop consuming one of my favorite forms of sustenance.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Smaller end caps are smaller end caps and you live less.

Just like a clock, they can look at your tattered, old man molecule and depending on how many base pairs are missing, they can tell you how fast you are going through your elder years. Short telomere, short life.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Doesn't say anything about drinking milk. Fat or non-fat.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The article? Yes it sure does. One look at yours and I could tell what kind of milk you predominantly drank over the years.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

WELL! I drink about 8 gallons of 3% milk a week (most of my life); is that why i am over 80?.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:xYwVF.19806$ snipped-for-privacy@fx05.iad:

You drink over a gallon of milk a day?

A bit chubby are we?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's because you drink rat milk.

Reply to
Sea

Historically (and still today) most nutritional studies are wrong.

The salt panic, promoted by Al Gore before he found a more profitable cause to hype, is just one example.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

No, that would be because you were born before 1940. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(many happy returns)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

rue

This seems a bit worse than the 'p-hacking' done on big data. Here's a huffpost article Ughh.. cut because of long link. Here's Bret's article

The abstract is good, but heavy word-wise. Basically we breed rats with long telomeres. So they are very good at over coming toxins and damage, but are very susceptible to cancer in late life. Not the best test animals.

George H.

on"

Reply to
George Herold

Nope; weigh about the same as when i graduated from high school.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Wrong ASSuMPTion; besides, ain't sold or available.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks, kid ;)

Reply to
Robert Baer

rue

Not so much wrong as inadequate and misleading. As usual, JHohn Larkin post s this claim without providing any links to any evidence that might support it, so he's almost certainly more likely to be wrong and misleading than t he studies he thinks he is referring to, because you can't publish in peer- reviewed journal without any supporting evidence.

Eating too much salt is associated with developing high blood pressure, whi ch is bad for you.

The advised intake varies from 5 gram per day down to 1.5 grams per day. Th e Australian average is 10 grams per day.

-and-hypertension

It's not something to panic about, and Al Gore doesn't promote panic - he j ust takes science seriously, which John Larkin can't manage since doesn't u nderstand enough science to know what he's talking about.

The interesting thing about Al Gore is that for somebody who never had much of a scientific education he's remarkably good at getting his scientific f acts right.

The depressing thing about John Larkin is that he isn't.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

False. You can't judge those studies, so you've just made up a fact-like clickbait phrase (or found one, and are promoting it). The hypeist here, is John Larkin.

Blood is salt water, with fixed salinity, and oxygen-carrying cells. If you overingest salt, your blood gets a higher water volume, and the heart load goes up as the red cells (necessary) get pumped as well as lots of water (not necessary).

There was never a 'salt panic'. Al Gore's most profitable cause, the internet, hasn't needed his input for years, the hype is from others.

Reply to
whit3rd