OT: All my folders and files are read only.

This morning I tried to download something and I was told I could not use t he 'Download' folder because it was read only. I was able to change it from 'read only' and download my file, but I then found all of my folders and f iles have been changed to read only. I ran Microsoft Security Essential sca ns and Malwarebytes scans and found nothing. I searched for files changed t oday and found a 516kb file in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution installed at 6:39AM this morning. I was asleep, the computer was turned off and the int ernet was disconnected. I also have Microsoft Update turned off. It's weird . I searched the internet and all I get are instructions on how to change a folder from 'read only'. It's like coming home to find the floors wet in y our house and when you ask why being told to get a mop. Useless.

Anyone else find something new in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution this morn ing?

Reply to
Wanderer

Folders are ALWAYS marked "read only" in the Windows Explorer, with a greyed checkmark. Are your files marked "read only" as well?

Reply to
Rob

se the 'Download' folder because it was read only. I was able to change it from 'read only' and download my file, but I then found all of my folders a nd files have been changed to read only. I ran Microsoft Security Essential scans and Malwarebytes scans and found nothing. I searched for files chang ed today and found a 516kb file in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution installe d at 6:39AM this morning. I was asleep, the computer was turned off and the internet was disconnected. I also have Microsoft Update turned off. It's w eird. I searched the internet and all I get are instructions on how to chan ge a folder from 'read only'. It's like coming home to find the floors wet in your house and when you ask why being told to get a mop. Useless.

morning?

No. All my files aren't 'read only'. I guess it was just the ones in the do wnload directory. So I guess something just happened to that directory. I u pdated Palemoon a couple of days ago. Maybe there is something funny in the new version that changed the download directory when I tried to download t his morning. Thanks, that's a load of my mind.

Reply to
Wanderer

Just a MSE update, nothing else.

Martin Riddle

I see the same thing. Folders that I know are read/write have the "Read Only" box ticked with a square dot. If I click on that it goes off, but if I click again it shows a check mark. I assume the square dot is like a "gray" dot which the check mark means business. I guess this would need a little research to figure out. It does say, "Only applies to files in the folder".

--

Rick C
Reply to

the 'Download' folder because it was read only. I was able to change it fr om 'read only' and download my file, but I then found all of my folders and files have been changed to read only. I ran Microsoft Security Essential s cans and Malwarebytes scans and found nothing. I searched for files changed today and found a 516kb file in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution installed at 6:39AM this morning. I was asleep, the computer was turned off and the i nternet was disconnected. I also have Microsoft Update turned off. It's wei rd. I searched the internet and all I get are instructions on how to change a folder from 'read only'. It's like coming home to find the floors wet in your house and when you ask why being told to get a mop. Useless.

rning?

I've had that several times. Each time it was due to a filesystem screwup, resulting in a tree of folders or the whole disc becoming set to read-only . Backup & format is the solution.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It may be that this depends on being logged in as an Administrator, an unwise thing that I never do unless I need to do very special things on the machine.

Reply to
Rob

On my computer, i am hard-pressed to find ANY folders marked as "read only" .. looked at a few SYSTEM and a few HIDDEN folders also; i take great exception to that suspect "always".

Reply to
Robert Baer