OT: air drag

Summer is coming. Suppose one had a compact electric sedan, and one wanted to know: how far could one lower the driver's side window to get "natural AC" at 35-40 mph before the loss in "fuel" economy would make it so it would make more sense to keep the window shut and use the climate control system? Yes, lots of variables here I guess.

The first generation Chevy Volt has a design flaw where at speeds above around 30 mph, lowering the front windows more than about 1/3rd of the way causes severe buffeting. I belive the dealer can install some mod to reduce this, but I don't think it's free.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

I vaguely recall some experiment where the increase in fuel consumption due to air drag from opening windows was so small as to be unmeasurable.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Then again, professional truck drivers seem to suffer hearing loss from those loud open windows. So it's a trade-off: save fuel, or save your hearing? :D

Reply to
mrdarrett

...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Well, for my part I'm fortune enough not to live in an area that has a summer climate reminiscent of a pizza oven. Then again, humid air doesn't cool very well either.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Interesting. But the buffeting/cabin resonance effect that happens in this car at speed is really severe. I bet that...drags it down a bit.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

I'll take Arizona any day of the year versus Boston in July... humidity is why I left the East coast. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 14:55:34 -0400 (EDT), bitrex Gave us:

Stick an air foil on the tail. Idiots. No more buffeting.

Except in Thompson's f***ed skull... at any speed.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ah, you're right.

Then again Jim has a point: AC is more comfortable than hot outside wind.

I know! Ride a bike. Infinite miles per gallon. :p

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno Wrote in message:

Looks like the "fix" involves modifying the side mirror housings, and fitting new tapered window trim on the doors. I'd imagine an air foil would significantly reduce range.

The grille of the car is air dammed. The fresh air intake for the backup ICE is underneath - which might require its own "mod" as apparently an unlucky road pebble can zip up through it and puncture the radiator.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Be careful with that word "infinite" >:-} How many miles before you have to eat ?? ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

What do they call it? Euro style Doors? I have Vent Visors, they solve my problem of water dripping in and onto the door console. They also provide some suction when the window is down an inch or two.

But they make the A pillar larger and might create a blind spot.

Martin Riddle

"Water dripping in"... what's that ?>:-}

Year around I only roll down my windows at drive-thru's ;-)

...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Oh, great, petroleum was used to grow food too, huh...

;)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Phase change ;D

Martin Riddle

Jeorg goes something like 20 miles for a gallon of brew.

Oh wait, that's "for", not "on" ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

I luv it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

I seem to recall calculating somewhere in the range of 350 mpg for a bicycle, assuming you were going to power it with vegetable oil or bacon grease or something of that ilk. I'm quite happy to use alternative fuels (ie: real food) and get lower mileage.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

one of the motor groups in Oz (this is more than 20 years ago) found that opening ALL windows used as much as air conditioning when at more than

100kmph or 60mph (IIRC - it may have been 80kmph). This was with less fuel efficient cars than today, so I guess the take home is use one window at any speed you like - even today.
Reply to
David Eather

"So a cyclist at 21 km/h consumes about 3% of the energy per kilometre of a lone car-driver on the

"If you would like a vehicle whose fuel efficiency

a bike."

(Unfortunately the author of this widely respected book died last week..)

Reply to
Tom Gardner