OT: AGW - to what depths will those crooks sink?

The 6th is my brother's B-day, so I emailed him; I casually asked, "Have you heard about Climategate?"

Just to check and see how popular it is, I did a quick google and Yikes!

"about 28,600,000" hits!

This is possibly the most egregious:

They're adopting the propaganda tactics of the Church of Antismokerism, to wit:

(just label the boogeyman from the above ad, "second-hand smoke.")

For the record, I'd like to challenge any antismokerist to take the Garage Test: You fill up your gas tank and park in the garage, I'll buy a couple of cartons of cigarettes and sit in an equivalent garage. Close all the doors and windows, and seal the air leaks. You start your car, and I'll start smoking. When either your car runs out of gasoline, or I run out of cigarettes (whichever comes first), we'll both come out and report on our results.

Interestingly, I haven't had any takers yet. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

How is that different from "I'll shoot you through the head, and start smoking at the same time. We see who dies first."

What kind of brain-dead "argument" is that? Smoking two packs of cigarettes is less dangerous than breathing an oxygen-free atmosphere with carbon monoxide?

I don't have the time to go deeply enough into AGW to have an independently informed opinion. What I do note is that it is the "supporters" that tend keep coming back with numbers, detailed evidence, rational arguments. And it is the "deniers" who tend to keep coming back with nothing but name calling and the same empty arguments - the same ones refuted here again and again.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

ttp://

Idiot.

It is a shame that I have to share a planet with you and your kind.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

!

age

le

of

ur

I note that trend too.

It is telltale sign of the "deniers" have nothing.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

The difference of course is that I'm unlikely to die from car exhaust in my garage, but you have a 1/3 or so chance of dying from smoking.

And I'd much rather die painlessly in a few minutes than spend a year or two watching cancer and surgeons tear my body apart. I've seen that happen and it's horrible.

I've lost three people that mattered to me to lung cancer, two uncles and my best friend. All three smoked. I know one guy who is permanently disabled from emphysema; he smoked heavily. I don't know any non-smokers who got lung cancer or emphysema.

And cigarettes stink. They'll rot your teeth, too. I rather like my teeth.

John

Yikes!

egregious:

I always thought it a shame that cigarettes take so long to kill. Three weeks would be a great improvement over 30 years.

John

[...]

I do. Or I should say, did :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

It may not be that easy. As I understand it, the (mis-named) "greenhouse effect" is caused by adsorption of IR radiation from the ground that would normally escape into space, and is instead re-radiated downwards.

The actual atmosphere is many km thick rather than a few meters. So your proposed experiment should work in principle but it could turn out to be a very small effect at that scale - perhaps overwhelmed by uncontrolled factors. A controlled lab experiment that can be isolated from winds would likely be better (and perhaps has been done, I am not an expert). But the spectrum of the sun and the spectral absorption/emissions of gases are extremely well characterised, it is not clear what would be gained here.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Beautiful!! An untestable hypothesis, then!!

Untestable hypotheses are what make Merka great!

--
EA

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Existential Angst

Still, it would be nice to see what happens in a controlled biosphere, just as a reference point. Surely some sort of scale could be created.

--
EA

> --
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Existential Angst

SNIP

You obviously don't read SED.

570+ posts in ping bil slowman and half of them are Slowman calling all non believers various forms of idiots.
Reply to
Raveninghorde

Yikes!

egregious:

You don\'t have to. ;)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

I was a paralegal assistant (document coder) during the big money grab lawsuit-fest back in the '80s or '90s, and read hundreds, if not thousands of documents, from both sides, so I know these facts to be true. I think my NDA was only for 7 years, so this should be OK to reveal them:

Henry Waxman was the Al Gore of antismokerism. The EPA _VIOLATED THEIR OWN RULES_ just to "show a statistical correlation". The official sigma was five percent, for the antismokerism crusade they loosened that to ten!

I've also read a couple of other studies that showed that when personality type is used as a criterion, the type A personalities (rigid, authoritarian, no lips, inability to express emotion) had overwhelmingly more cancer in general than type B (plain ol' joe next door, does his job, loves his wife and kids and isn't afraid to say so - you know, most people) and type C (artsy-fartsy, head in the clouds, dreamers) PUT TOGETHER, and the incidence of smoking was below the noise level.

This study got buried, or either since it was actual science, it had big words and so was incomprehensible to the typical cherry-picked juror.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I do this routinely. It's WAY cheaper than shampoo. Another product that works like a dream is liquid hand soap with lanolin in it. I refuse to use that crap on my hands - I hate having my hands greasier after I wash them than they were before - but it makes hair look like that "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" commercial. ;-)

P.S. I haven't had a haircut since the 1980s - it gets about a third of the way down my back (about shoulder-blade level) and stops by itself. ("Gimme a head with hair, long beautiful hair...")

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The point is, second-hand cigarette smoke is harmless, while car exhaust (which people, including antismokerists, pollute our air with in megaton quantities), will kill you outright.

So, if you drive a car, you have no right to bitch about my smoking.

But, like in all other religious cults (like warmingism), faith is impervious to facts.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Problem is, they don't.

A little inconvenient fact that the Church of Antismokerism has hidden from public view.

Or do you think that nonsmokers are immortal?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My Dad quit smoking about 50 years ago, at age 40 or so. And you know what? He died anyway.

Antismoking does NOT confer immortality, contrary to what is apparently popular opinion.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

All I can say is you had better hope that he's a chain smoker. In a sealed one car garage with an idling car you will have about 12 minutes before the CO level is high enough to start causing problems. After that you had better hope that your local hospital has a hyperbaric chamber to drive the CO off of the red cells in your blood. I've been around more than a few CO poisonings. They are NOT pretty.

True, cancer sucks. Lung cancer is VERY high on my Moms side and Prostate and Liver cancer on my Dads side. So far I'm clear but....

I know of many more than one and have been around many more.

--
Steve W.
Reply to

Hi Rich, Harmless, huh? Then YOU try to live with my wife when some unmentionably qualified individual lights up around here when we are out in public, and I spend the next two days dealing with headaches, sinus attacks, and general behavior that makes PMS look like a hangnail...

Sorry, but I am all for any and all anti-smoking measures. I have a dad, mom, uncle (who I was named for) and brother that are no longer around due to the consequences of smoking.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Nah - tried it once, and couldn't keep the damn things lit!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise