OT: Adobe Flash Update

I truly love these useless updates. Click on the tease window to say "go" and after a short while (high speed internet) one gets this very nice, useless and stupid window "Entry point SetDllDirectoryW not found in KERNEL32.dll [OK] ". Of course it is _*NOT*_ "ok", it is a bunch of friggin SullBhit and there is !no! _sane_ option. I have lost count of how many times i have seen this garbage. Why can they not get their stupid software right? At lease M$ does not have buggy installation; they want their malware to at least look like all is OK..

Reply to
Robert Baer

are

I no longer update ANYTHING unless I truly need it and have as much knowledge as possible about what the "upgrade" is supposed to do. The Adobe Flash update is fairly easy to rip out by its roots. It's an executable FlashUtil10.exe or something like that. (Mine's history so I can' confirm it, but it's close). You can run something like Microsoft's AutoRuns program to find it if you have trouble.

Now, not only do sleep a little better, I don't have to put up with Adobe's nag notice either.

Reply to
mpm

+9,000! When I build a machine, I connect it to the internet *once*. Download the *appropriate* MSUpdates. Then, disconnect and "live with" whatever problems remain. ("Better the problem I *know* than the problem that has yet to screw me over!")

(Ditto for the various applications)

Of course, not having those machines "exposed" means I usually have very little concern for "security vulnerabilities" -- which seem to be the reason behind so many updates... and the CAUSE of so many MORE!

I don't run Flash on any machine that is likely to *want* it. Web browsing is *so* much faster without sacrificing all of that CPU to "silly ADVERTISEMENTS", etc. (Granted, I'll miss the occasional dog-pissing-on-cat video, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make!)

Reply to
Don Y

It is trying to tell you (admittedly in a rather oblique and cryptic manner) that your prehistoric derelict OS is no longer supported.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

What version of Windows is this?

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

Have you tried Firefox with noscript and flashblock?

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

He switched to a newer computer with XP a while back, didn't he? Of course that won't stop you from your lame attempts to insult people.

Michael A. Terrell

I use NoScript but not FlashBlock (since I don't have flash installed). I need to look into how NoScript is implemented as it *dramatically* slows down scripts that are enabled.

Reply to
Don Y

Found two exe files, FlashUtil11e_ActiveX.exe and the other FlashUtil11e_PluginActiveX.exe . Which one do i remove?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Win2K.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Did not like how FF did some things; upgraded my SeaMonkey instead.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, i did switch to a newer computer, and moved from Win98SE to Win2K, so some of the "insult" is deserved.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Did a search and found FlashUtil11e_ActiveX.exe as well as FlashUtil11e_plugin.exe; since they both have names similar to what you indicated, i am unsure as to which one to rip out.

Reply to
Robert Baer

? =A0Of

Went from Jurassic to Cretaceous. Well it IS progress. I'm only one step up from Cretaceous (XP Pro)

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

Whilst Win2k is marginally better than ME (the only OS named after a brain wasting disease) if you value your sanity you should run XP.

So many commercial programs assume that as the minimum baseline kit now that you will find this problem coming up again and again. You will have to find an old version of Flash driver from ~ 2002-4 if you really want to stick with 2k. I don't recommend it. You will hit this problem again and again with almost every new thing you try to install.

What CPU and ram does it have? Old XP boxes should be available for about $50 and good ones capable of video rendering for about $150. (assuming here US prices track UK ones)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I have an ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS (manual: 1st Ed Sep 2007), 1GByte DDR2 RAM.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It is the processor type and clock speed that really matters. P4 @ 2GHz or higher with 1GB ram should run XP without difficulty.

Something like CPUZ diagnostics will tell you (but you will need to find an old version). ISTR the latest one will not run on W2k.

Even the basic Windows diagnostics would help. 1GB will run XP but 2GB would be much better (DDR2 ram is cheap). These days for XP 512MB doesn't leave any room after the AV database loads and things thrash.

Trust me on this - Win2k is not worth the effort (especially now).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Yes, but Flashblock doesn't seem to slow anything down, and it makes flashes invisible (not even a place marker) on most sites.

Adblock is also good. Using all 3, in my browsing experience I am not even aware of most of the flashes that bother other people, and I can see a flash video when I want to.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I think AdBlock slows Firefox's initial loading (IIRC). But, we seem to be in agreement -- except for FlashBlock. :> I haven't yet found a flash that I really *wanted* to see :-/

Reply to
Don Y

You haven't seen any of the lectures from MIT and elsewhere on youtube? They can be quite good.

And lots of commercial websites (stupidly) script their important functions in flash.