OT: A good start

Only weenie cars that use "blowers" need such octane boosting. Hell, even my 12 year old Q45 monster V8 will run on regular without pinging... it seems to have a very smart engine controller CPU.

I think the power loss is well-documented. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Den fredag den 2. juni 2017 kl. 19.19.13 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

all gasoline has some octane booster added, that's how what ever comes out of the refinery gets up the to level required

sure, I'll just turn down the power

where? the ECU just adds a few % more fuel

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

But with modern engines, who cares?

It really does make a 10% difference - "gasoline helper". Might just as well fill the gas with 10% water.

Reply to
krw

Den fredag den 2. juni 2017 kl. 23.37.22 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com:

refineries take what ever looks like gasoline and add stuff to boost the octane level to match whats needed they didn't add lead or mtbe just to waste money

so E85 is 85% is water? nonsense

Ethanol is an excellent fuel, whether the production of ethanol is viable compared to various hydrocarbons you can pump out of the ground that's whole different matter

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

But modern engines don't need it. Adding gasoline helper doesn't help at all.

Um, 10% is what? Maybe you need to go back to elementary school.

It's horrible. It's useless in modern engines and, in fact, destructive.

Reply to
krw

Only on-demand due to more load or request for more speed.

The first order correction for low octane is adjustment of spark advance/retard timing. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

0% added

erence

sure, but ethanol isn't low octane, it just less energy per volume so it ne eds a different fuel/air ration

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

What about the bullshit "oxygenation" provided by the ethanol ?>:-}

Ethanol is a bunch of crap and we need to get over it.

I just received a E-mail diatribe from MIT President L. Rafael Reif castigating Trump for walking away from the Paris Accords.

To which I replied, "Which "progressive" non-scientific positioning is why I no longer contribute to MIT."

I'm going to spend it all on frivolity instead >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote on 6/2/2017 7:43 PM:

Jim doesn't understand the nature of octane. As you say, they add various compounds to alter the octane rating of the fuel being produced. They also perform cracking on various feedstocks to produce more or less gasoline and of variable octane.

That said, there is no real reason to use use ethanol for this. It has always been about politics and mandated rather than any market force acting to promote the use of ethanol.

The debate really isn't about whether ethanol should or shouldn't be used. It is about whether the US should continue to mandate the usage. If the mandate is removed the market can decide the best way to provide gasoline of appropriate octane.

--

Rick C
Reply to

h 10% added

ifference

needs

the questionably part is subsidies for the production of corn to make ethan ol there is nothing wrong with ethanol it is a great fuel, and if ethanol is t he octane boost that makes more gasoline "good enough" I'll take that over lead or mtbe

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote on 6/2/2017 8:02 PM:

I don't know why you keep going on about lead and MTBE. Neither one is in use for gasoline additives. Can you just stop reciting that mantra?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Indeed! It should be stopped.

Neeerp! More expensive and less efficient than gasoline (based on BTU/pound).

Ethanol, in the US is _not_ pushed as an octane booster, it's pushed as good for the "climate"... aka bullshit.

Aircraft fuel (for piston-type aircraft) doesn't have ethanol added, yet has higher octane than regularly available automotive fuel... wonder how that is accomplished ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

n:

sen

with 10% added

e difference

it needs

hanol

" I'll take that over lead

by adding lead, avgas is not lead free, 100LL is a couple grams of TEL per gallon

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

now that shows how much you know, MTBE is in the gasoline in CT and other states. It has made its way into the ground water. The state claims that much of the gas tax paid at the pump is to cover the cost of the added chem. They refuse to get off it because it hauls in money for the crooks

Btw, this is a Dem state, but I didn't vote for the crooked bitch or then communist Burnie.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

One of the nice things about ethanol is that it soaks up water, makes it easier to start in the winter, also makes it easier for the pumps stations to add water that you pay for, and of course your engine just spits it out as vapor as you push harder on the floor to make up for lost power.

And last time I checked, it takes just over a gal of gas to produce 1 gal of ethanol and you get let HP out of it, soaks up water so they can stretch it more. destroys the farm land with the GMO corm that really isn't fit to eat.

And also, if memory servse, i think the GOV was kitting in money to paid these people to do all of this.

No wonder the Dems are all spissed off!, there goes some of their rainy day funs when DT fires them.!

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

You should check your facts. While I have no doubt there is ground water contamination from the use of MTBE, I don't think it is any longer in use in CT or elsewhere. If for no other reason, the makers of MTBE are not shielded from the many, many lawsuits which have been and will continue to be filed.

Maybe your candidate will mandate the collection of all the spilled MTBE and require it to be disposed of in your back yard?

One good thing about the use of MTBE. It showed what a crummy job the gasoline industry was doing in keeping it out of the ground water resulting in greatly stiffened regulations on the storage of gasoline. Now we only need to wait 100 years give or take for the MTBE to degrade.

--

Rick C
Reply to

M Philbrook wrote on 6/2/2017 8:39 PM:

I don't think anyone will miss ethanol if it goes away other than the corn farming lobbyists. The question is though, what will they do to boost the octane? Will they just perform more cracking and adjust the fractional distillation? I expect that will raise the cost of gasoline.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Mostly it's a higher percentage of octane. You do know what octane is don't you ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

n:

pson:

sen

on:

tensen

U.

so with 10% added

more difference

so it needs

ethanol

ugh" I'll take that over lead

er gallon

yes I know what octane is,

The "low lead" avgas still has a lot more lead than automotive leaded gasoline had when it was legal, that's how it is 100 octane

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

yeah, Maize is a type of grain but yeast is not fussy.

Jasen Betts