OT: 32G SD scam

I got it two months ago. My friend got it a month ago. These e-bay 32G SD cards are actually reprogrammed chip with holely flash beyond 8G. Anybody else got it?

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

with holely flash beyond 8G. Anybody else got it?

Not sure what you mean by holely, but it that means they don't work beyond 8G, then that is old news.

Never buy flash on Ebay. There are Chinese that have access to factory "shells" and stuff them with floor sweepings.

Reply to
miso

there's plenty of counterfeit flash out there.

I was given a 128G usb thumb drive by someone who had discovered this.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Common scam. IIRC, they've got controllers jigged to report more than the actual capacity.

Even if the brand looks legit, you can't be sure.. it's easy to make fake labels. You have to buy from a trusted supplier. Even Newegg got caught with a whack of fake 'Intel' CPUs a while back.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Yep. Several of my friends and customer have bought 32GB micro-SD cards that turned out to be reprogrammed 2GB devices. Fortunately, in all cases the vendor refunded the amount paid rather than risk being banned from eBay. I guess they make enough money on those that don't notice the problem to justify the refunds: etc...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Amazon is usually dependable. Ebay is a lot dicier.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

Yes, we didn't, until we fill it up to more than 8G. It's just wasting eve rybody's time and money. Someone got to put them out of business. We don' t want refund. We want them banned. But then, they would probably show up with a new ID to scam someone else.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee