Oscilloscope info

hi, im planning to buy an Oscilloscope for my personel work. im wondering whether to buy a PC based one or stand akone unit. any advice on this pls..

thank you CMOS

Reply to
manusha

Not enough information. What do you want to do with a scope?

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The standalone one will work for 10-15 years, while the PC based one won't be connectable anymore in another 10 years.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

If you really use your scope on a daily basis, a stand alone unit is much more convenient. It is also the single most useful device for all design work.

I like my Tektronix TDS 2002, although I have seen some other units advertized with similar functionality for half the price. Since this is a once-per-twenty-years purchase, I deciced to go with the known quantity.

Luhan Monat (luhanxmonat-at-yahoo^dot^com)

"Reality: what a concept!"

Reply to
Luhan

Unless you buy an ethernet based one (don't know if they exist). Ethernet is very standard and backwards compatible.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

** This will get you started.

Nice and cheap and you get a 10:1 probe chucked in.

If it is not good enough - you had better say why.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ok, the Ethernet connection is to survive. But the operation would now be with a browser. They are rather quick in development. So I'm not too sure whether a browser in 10 years can still talk to the scope.

TCP/IP & UDP ? You wouldn't want that.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

A browser based oscilloscope is going to be a bit slow. A dedicated application will work though. There is enough software around which is at least 10 to 20 years old and still works with modern OS versions.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I agree with Luhan that the small Teks are great "personal" o'scopes. Mine is from the prior generation (a TDS 220) that gets pretty regular use.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

As long as the words "HP" or "Agilent" do not appear ANYWHERE on the oscilloscope, you should be just fine.

--
Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Heh. That's one of the rules of thumb that doesn't seem to have changed very much. ;-)

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Why? Their more recent mixed signal oscilloscopes seem fine to me.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Yep. When I ran the analog group at Genrad/OmniComp (portable tester products) Phoenix, I forbid the use of hp 'scopes, and also Motorola LM324's ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Merely a logical subset of forbidding all LM324's.

John

What was the deal with their LM324s ?

I have to say I never got a Motoraola bifet to work without oscillating btw. Their early ones were shocking. MC34001 ? etc...

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

At that point in time Motorola's LM324's had the worst cross-over distortion, bar none.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

At that point in time Motorola's LM324's had the worst cross-over distortion, bar none.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Indeed, I'm a happy owner of a 54645D

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

There is one exception: The 130C was an outstanding oscilloscope. It, of course, has been steadily downhill since.

--
Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to