Orcad Pspice purchase

Yeah, the old one is like ten orders of magnitude too noisy. But that one is from before the LT sale.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I wonder if some internal node has a name that makes it connect to the same node in another instance. Stranger things have happened.

I also wonder if some chip models include ground somewhere inside. That could get interesting.

Ahh, the good old days are returning, before the autoconverge in PSpice, the trick was to add 11 ohms in the power supply rails (10 wouldn't work)

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

Correct. If I don't have the tool, they may skip me for the next consultant

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

There is a difference. The Orcad tools are in the 3000 USD range. An ASIC development tool is 10 times more, with very high yearly support costs

Jim used the old Spice tool. Created a netlist, and used external spice engine to simulate. When done, he then handed over the netlist over to the layout guy

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

Yes. I know the cost is there, I was just trying to minimize it ;-)

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

Pspice

k with

e TI

t price

-guy.

He loved PSpice. He hated OrCAD.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

When I was at a contract R&D company the standard practice was - any project-specific tool was paid for by the client and became their property - if the client mandated a tool they had to supply it, and we factored our learning curve into our quote

Clients that didn't accept that were welcome to find other contracting companies :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

He hated LT Spice too.

fredag den 22. januar 2021 kl. 19.37.58 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

e:

ad Pspice

work with

ndle TI

ited

that price

r.

you

is

ice-guy.

uit

It seemed to me that was much because the designer didn't treat his words o n things spice as gospel ;) and the common my way or the wrong way

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I added a few features to SS to support various PSPice features but some PSpice models still require modifying to work in SS

LTSPice is a very good option for the vast majority of board designers, just as LibreOffice is an extremely good option for those wanting MS file format support, at zero cost. Quite frankly, I can't see any realistic reason for home users to not use LibreOffice.

LTSpice is built to be very compatible to PSpice. Compatible really means running the same .subckt model syntax without change.

An option worth considering is MicroCap. It used to be several thousand, but now free.

My me, LTSpice just doesn't support what I use SuperSpice for. I use it to reduce Cadence licence costs that would otherwise be required for ASIC design.

The company I work for is relatively small ($100M p.a.) . It can't afford unlimited licences as a major company can. Key for my me is Worst Case support. This is the ability to press a button and automatically run many process corners

Typically, I might be running some main higher level simulations in Cadence, and running small blocks in SuperSpice

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward