Optocoupler suggestions

but

For frequencies up to about 100kHz a four quadrant multiplying DAC is an at tractive - if sometimes expensive - gain control element, and it can be adj usted very rapidly, if necessary.

556.pdf

isn't all that fast - distortion is specified at 1kHz.

df

df

pdf

553.pdf

aren't any better.

The Analog Devices AD734 and AD834 are four quadrant analog multipliers - t he AD734 is good to 10MHz and the AD834 is rather faster - which might be a ttractive, if expensive.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

IIRC about a 40%-50% discount.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

As I recall they want to make 40% of the selling price.

lunatic fringe electronics

for the

ou need

emitter

25%?), but

ades)?

en you

e poor

10%

n't

an

even so.

causes

V LEDs

ate

s).

st

ich

where

as 1

ed.

urts

one

That doesn't seem too out of line. We have a few things that other people make and we resell them... for one we make ~$1.5k out of ~$5k... ~30%

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Varian/Agilent used to mark up our NMR gradient drivers and temperature controllers 6:1.

lunatic fringe electronics

e:

pt for the

t you need

nd emitter

/- 25%?), but

decades)?

when you

the poor

ED

ou 10%

isn't

u can

ast even so.

by

on causes

UV LEDs

n rate

fans).

fast

which

.

s, where

.

igh as 1

ashed.

h hurts

in a

shot

and

id

he

ge

omeone

le

Nice markup! Of course the Varian NMR business imploded (or something) a few years ago. I always feel weird charging too much for commercial stuf f that people can go buy themselves elsewhere.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Agilent acquired Varian and immediately killed the FTMS line. A bit later they killed NMR. We were suppliers of electronics for both.

Both technologies needed a giant superconductive magnet, and have probably been killed off by stuff that doesn't. I have been in labs that have hundreds-of-kilobuck magnets sitting collecting dust at room temp; I think it's just too expensive to keep buying liquid helium.

The medical MRI people can afford to run the magnets, and are lately using local reliquifiers instead of letting the boil-off escape.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

At one point in my grad school days, I was being paid on some research/capitol equipment line, to keep the whole liquid helium recovery system working at UB. It was a nightmare! ~100 valves and if someone left one open all that days helium would leak out. There was a ~20'x20'x10' rubber balloon that would collect and then trip on, I think it was a level/ height contact, with pressure sensor backup but that might be backwards. (Doing maintenance on the He liquifier was the fun part, well and then running it... though it meant sleeping over in the lab, I don't think I showered nearly enough when I was younger.)

Some closed cycle system seems the way to go these days, given He prices. (I've been out of the helium game for ~20 years.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

People used to say that liquid nitrogen cost the same as beer, and liquid helium cost the same as whiskey.

lunatic fringe electronics