optical MEMS stuff

(If any of that is real. They keep showing their MEMS photomultiplier at the Photonics West shows, but you can't get a data sheet, much less a part.)

 Click to see the full signature

Oh I got that today too. Any idea of what any of that stuff costs?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That's the coolest stuff I've seen all week. I especially like the tiny

1D linear mirror actuator.

Here's a link to the datasheet for the MEMS PMT:

ChesterW

Reply to
ChesterW

Hamamat$$$$u

 Click to see the full signature

That's getting better, assemblies, but will they sell the PMT itself?

 Click to see the full signature

I wrote a paper on Integrated Optics in 1998 for my Digital Optical Computing class. My paper used "Technology and applications of micromachined silicon adaptive mirrors" (

) as a source.

It's a fun read. One of the more intriguing ideas from the class is using optical signals and lenses to extend comparison logic to 3 dimensions. Table lookups then become nearly instantaneous, limited only by the speed of light. Such a gadget eliminates numerically grinding things out von Neumann style.

--
 ,-.                                 GIVE MORE expect less LOVE MORE
 \_/                                 argue less LISTEN MORE talk less
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Kuenz

Maybe they do not have a MEMS moto-fultiplier...maybe it is a system with PMT and a MEMS-based amplifier..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, i guess technically one could say it is a PMT constructed using MEMS technology.. That does NOT make it a MEMS....

Reply to
Robert Baer

Iffen youall gots the money..

Reply to
Robert Baer

MOTO-FULTIPLIER?

What does it detect? anti-fotons? motons?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's Hamamatsu, so it costs lot$. OTOH their stuff is almost always pretty decent.

A parlour game among us EO folks is to design out Hamamatsu parts by making minor changes to the optics and electronics. Saving a $100 photodiode can pay for a lot of cruises to the Bahamas if you're making thousands of units.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've seen the tiny flat surface-mount PMTs at the Photonics show. Really cute. Just impossible to buy.

 Click to see the full signature

Here it is:

 Click to see the full signature

The MIL version is the YAMAMOTO-FULTIPLIER.

 Click to see the full signature

All your photon belong to us.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Poisson dialect of LOL-Speak. Nice.

ChesterW

Reply to
ChesterW

Reminds me of Joseph Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

Motto: Drive Home Before Dark.

 Click to see the full signature

Yumping yimminy! It's a yolk, son.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Even if you are rich enough to offer a meggabuck?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Speaking of Hamamatsu, these look interesting. Warning 1Mb pdf.

An array of Geiger mode APD's Individual elements, keeps the capacitance down for each, faster recharge time. ~0.1 pf I calculated for one (10um maybe). Quenching resistors are built in, dark count is still not touching a pmt's (100k at room temp, ~10k at -25C.) but may be good enough for a gated detector.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold