Opinion about the DSO Nano V2

Hello,

Browsing around on the web, I stumbled across this page:

On the paper, this looks interesting for me as a hobbyist. Reading some reviews, I understand that this is not comparable to a more complete DSO (Rigol DS1502E comes to mind), but could be enough for my limited usage.

Do you know about this device? What do you think of it? Has anyone around here used it?

Regards OBones

Reply to
OBones

1 MHz bandwidth--that's pretty limiting, especially when you can troll eBay and get so much more.

I bought a 4-channel 100MHz Tek digital 'scope for $100 at a swapmeet, just as one example.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

That "scope" is portable and writes to SD cards. Basically it is a different beast than a Tek scope. I didn't see a price listed. Of course that bandwidth isn't much more than a soundcard.

Reply to
miso

It's listed at 89$

Price is a big reason I'm looking at this, another one is small size and portability.

Reply to
OBones

(SER added)

Lots of limitations: 1 channel, 1MHz analog bandwidth, 1MSa/s.

Cute though. Might be good for finding high ESR caps, especially in hot circuits because it's (obviously) isolated being battery powered.

Reply to
JW

Thanks, come over and jack me off.

-- Shit! I thought no one knew, goddammit!

Me, jacking off!
Available For Lessons!

Reply to
David Sanders

I'd want a 'scope with knobs. I hate trying to adjust things with push buttons. (But then I'm old school.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ore

Sure, the form factor is very cute, I get that. It's tempting, I just can scarcely think of a real life signal I could acquire with it. $89 is a bargain, but only if you can use it.

By contrast, you can get 60MHz bandwidth, 2GSa/S, two channels, 8-bits of logic analyzer, an arb, and a TDR for $250:

(also sold at SparkFun)

(and it's guaranteed to work until Windows' next service pack breaks it !)

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

To make it self-contained (as the Nano is) you should budget some $250-$400 for a cheap computer too. Just for a fair comparison -- I realize the likelihood you're going to be in the market for a 'scope and don't have a computer is pretty much nil.

I fully expect that one of these days there'll be a little plug-in adapter for iPhones/iPods/iPads to turn them into scopes. I think the only reason you don't already see that is due to the dock connector only containing USB (with the iThing as a slave and probably? no easy way for a "regular" application to tap into that data), a serial port, and audio/video signals: You end up having to add your own process in the "interface" box and use the iThing as nothing more than a nice display/touch screen interface.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

00

Sure, but what good is a 1MHz 'scope? Would a 12" x 9" car for commuting be worth $2k because it was cute and got 200 mpg?

I'm all for economy, but the thing has to be able to earn its keep.

r for

with

on to

aving

ing

Methinks you can already do that just using your soundcard, for these performance levels, and get more bits to boot.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there -- 1MHz might be good for looking at audio signals and perhaps some microcontroller signals (which could include, e.g., RC servo outputs, H bridge drivers, etc.), but it is pretty limiting.

[iPad scopes]

For, 20kHz bandwidths, yeah -- I was thinking the 1MHz -- or preferably,

10MHz+ -- bandwidths like the Nano and the PC-connected-scope-in-a-box you linked to do.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I just ordered one. It is the 1.6 hardware version. It has the hardware capability to go to 2MHZ, the firmware is not yet released. It is open source code with schematic included and supported by their website.Got mine from ebay. It has a nice probe that is switchable 1X-10X. It also comes with a usb cable. A lot of the ones I've seen don't have the usb cable. I have not received it yet, its still in shipment so I can't comment on the preformance. A video on their web page shows a square wave signal starting to roll off @ around 150-200KHZ. The 2MHZ firmware I assume will be at least twice that. Its not great bandwidth, but it will fit my immediate needs.Came to $73 with shipping. It should work out good for me, I have an immediate need for slow waveform captures. However I won't be throwing out my 40MHZ scope anytime soon.

Reply to
ScadaEng