'One of the Most Vivid Arithmetic Failings Displayed by Americans'

From James Choi:

Why the Third Pounder hamburger failed: One of the most vivid arithmetic

failings displayed by Americans occurred in the early 1980s, when the A&W restaurant chain released a new hamburger to rival the McDonald?s Quarter Pounder. With a third-pound of beef, the A&W burger had more meat than th e Quarter Pounder; in taste tests, customers preferred A&W?s burger . And it was less expensive. A lavish A&W television and radio marketing campaign cite d these benefits. Yet instead of leaping at the great value, customers snubbed it . Only when the company held customer focus groups did it become clear why. The Third Pounder presented the American public with a test in fractions. And we fa iled. Misunderstanding the value of one-third, customers believed they were bei ng overcharged. Why, they asked the researchers, should they pay the same am ount for a third of a pound of meat as they did for a quarter-pound of meat at

larger than the ?3? in ??,? led them astr ay.

--Elizabeth Green, NYT Magazine, on losing money by overestimating the Am erican public's intelligence.

gray_wolf

It's depressing that the general public cannot even grasp the basic concepts of fractions. Maybe we should go to the metric system. The 149 Gram burger sounds better than the 113 Gram.

Reply to
Kevin Glover

Or, they could have called it "The 5 ounce burger". 5 being greater than the 4 in 1/4.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

That's one advantage of the metric system. Who doesn't have to pause when choosing a 3/16 inch drill bit or a 13/64 inch drill bit?

But most people resist changing because they don't even understand it would be easier for them.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Or if they sold both a 1/3 pound and a 1/5 pound, and made them both the same price as the quarter pounder, they would have come out on top at the expense of the innumerates.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Bwahahahaha >:-} ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

They could charge more for the 1/5 pounder and make a killing.

Someone told me that at one of the Jeff Foxworthy standup events when he was doing the stupid people routine they were selling "STUPID" signs.

They were $2 each or two for $5.

Reply to
jurb6006

Wait until you tell 'em you can raise numbers to negative powers. That really flips their lids.

Reply to
bitrex

An ad here said, "Buy three tyres for the price of four and get a fourth one absolutely free!".

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Then think in 64ths. That's how I do woodworking. I decide the needed precision for the operation(s) and stick to that fraction. So, in the above case, I'd use 12 or 13 (64ths being "silent").

Utter nonsense. Some just *have* to show how "superior" they are.

Reply to
krw

When dealing with fractions, I don't go below 16ths. It's so-many 16ths plus/minus 1/32 or 1/64, E.g., your 13/64 is 3/16 + 1/64. I have the intuition for how much the 16ths are, but not finer.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Sometimes the 64th's matter, depending on material, desired thread, etc., so I finally succumbed and bought a drill bit cabinet and gauges so I can stay organized...

(cropped to not show the constant mess that my desk and workbench stay in ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thank god I'm not the only one with this problem after all.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

My biggest problem occurs when the wife decides to "neaten up". Then my organization "by piles" fails :-( ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

At first I didn't believe this. So I dug on the Internet and found it is true. The original source is Alfred Taubman who wrote this in his book, "Threshold Resistance" and confirmed this in his blog shortly before passing away.

Fourth item down.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I really believe it is something genetic. I literally can't picture what to do with most things other than to set them "over there". On the other hand, I'm very organized on the computer. I know where everything is on the disk drive. I think it is the difference between having a logical relationship and structure of hierarchy vs. whatever an office should be (which I can't picture). Maybe I should subscribe to "Better Desk and Office".

--

Rick C
Reply to

Wow! Open a fast-food place with 1/8 pounders at the price of the 1/4 pounders and you'll get rich. Until the public gets educated. Maybe.

Reply to
John S

Or they pay attention to their stomachs.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Or look behind the pickle.

Reply to
krw

Educated, or experienced.

A 1/5 pounder(*) that actually contains 1/3 pound could work.

Jasen Betts