OLED???

Hi. How do you pronounce it? Will just a few companies manufacture the display material itself, or will the electric print idea make it so everyone can do it, or am I confusing different ideas? This is new to me, and there's so much potential it's hard to know how to think about the whole thing...

Thanks for any info!

David

Reply to
dh

I imagine the number of companies producing the substrates will eventually be fairly large, I don't think it's that much more difficult than making good LCD panels. I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far. No panacea, but it's a nice option.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I heard it with all four letters pronounced, just like the LED has all three letters pronounced. Afterall, they roll off the tongue fairly well, unlike say, WWW, which as three times the syllables of "world wide web".

John Aspen Research, -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek

oh-led

surely.

Reply to
Ed Chilada

That seems right to me, but I wonder how they would verbally differentiate between FOLED and PHOLED. It's hard to find people who are very familiar with this stuff...which may be a good thing.

Reply to
dh

On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:15:39 -0400, Spehro Pefhany Gave us:

You are't very bright. The technology is entirely different than LCD manufacture.

OLED (pronounced Oh-Lead) Is Organic LED.

EVERY PIXEL is an LED, fully illuminated by current level, and individually wired... YES WIRED.

IBM manufactures what is STILL the highest resolution display ther is. A 19 MILLION pixel OLED monitor.

It has several miles of wiring in it.

It also only refreshes at 24Hz in its highest resolution.

I'll give you three guesses as to who their target market is, and the first two do not count.

Oh, and yes... it is out of your budget range.

OLED will be the hot shit when it become manufacturable in a cost effective way. Not right now though.

The reason is that LEDs are not light sources. They are illuminated from behind and express serious limitations in color producing capacity as a result.

OLEDs are individually fired pixels and produce their own light at the pixel level, just like a CRT does when an E-beam strikes a phosphor. An LCD cannot produce an entire range of colors due to their lack of this capacity.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

If they can get the service life up...

I think you meant LCDs. LEDs are light sources.

Not quite true. It is simply a matter of matching the filter and the light source behind the LCD so that only the desired primary comes out.

Light from common LEDs can be fairly close to monochromatic, as you point out, but similar effect can be had from LCD by using filters with reasonable isolation between the primaries and using a backlight composed of line spectra of the primaries instead of broad spectrum white light.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Larson

In all the MS webcasts i notice the redmond folks say "dub dub dub", and for product like 'WWF' they say "dub dub ef"

Reply to
The Real Andy

Funny, the ones I have here look a lot an awful lot like LCD displays. Glass substrate. Multiplexed, of course, which works better with diodes than LCDs.

They are *already* competitive with VFD displays. They've been used in one manufacturer's consumer products for several years now.

Whatcha smoking, dude? LED = Light EMITTING diode.

Yes, the gamut varies with different display (and printing) technology, if that's what you are trying to say. I should have some full color ones in hand in a couple of weeks.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

False. I do photographic color retouching on a LCD pro monitor and it is color calibrated and calibratable. Color is BETTER than on an equivalent CRT. My Samsung 32 LCD HDTV is the best picture and color I've seen and I have seen the Pioneer Elite Plasma--neighbor has one. CRT TV's/monitors aren't worth two cents IMO. CRT monitors especially give me eyestrain when working and LCD doesn't. Maybe this new OLED technology WILL be better but for some reason for some people that which is unavailable is always THE BEST.

Reply to
BC

Which LCD monitor do you use?

Better color than a CRT? Color me skeptical.

Reply to
Annika1980

Oh dear, you were doing so well up to this point..

T.

Reply to
Tony Gartshore

And the Bush worshippers say, "Dubya, Dubya, Dubya."

cheers! Bobo

Reply to
Bobo The Chimp

And in Yiddish, (Oy) Vey Vey Vey!

Reply to
mc

That makes sense. LCDs have separate light sources, primary color filters and shutters. Each component can be optimized. Particularly the primary color filters, being nothing more than fixed filters, don't have to be a design compromise between light emitting, control and hue that LEDs, phosphors, etc. do.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On Wed, 17 May 2006 07:30:00 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@w6yx.stanford.edu (Alan Larson) Gave us:

Yes. Mild dyslexia. Bad place for it to happen, though. :-]

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:04:27 -0400, Spehro Pefhany Gave us:

Did you get a chance to look at the BACK of the OLED panel?

Get back to me at that time.

Oh, and it is a glass frontispiece.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:04:27 -0400, Spehro Pefhany Gave us:

Yeah right. An MP3 player/picture viewer with an array size amounting to a few thousand pixels.

Where are the large OLED FPDs at? Well...?

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:04:27 -0400, Spehro Pefhany Gave us:

I guess the reader (YOU) would have to have enough brains to know that I was actually talking about LCDs. Just look at the description given in the body of the text. LEDs are not backlit.

You know damned well what I was talking about, OR you are one stupid fucher.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 17 May 2006 14:41:59 GMT, "BC" Gave us:

Whoopie doo.

If your brainy (claim to be) ass knew what the color triangle looked like, and where displays fall into place on them, you would KNOW that an LCD display CANNOT reproduce the same spectrum as a CRT, OR an OLED. Hell, they even have problems with grayscale production.

You need to bone up on monitors and displays, Chucko. I don't what you have been calibrating with what instruments, it doesn't mean that you know jack squat about display devices.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs