Old Aluminum Electrolytics

I've done it, too (but 100k ohms and 200% voltage, and I sometimes warmed up the puppies with a hotair gun). When the VOM says it's under a microamp, I call it good.

Maybe I should reconsider the 200% part, but it DOES speed things up.

Reply to
whit3rd

I powered up an old prototyping breadboard thing with integrated power 5v and +/- 5 to 15v supplies the other day, been sitting at the back of a bench for years.

I checked and nothing on the 5v supply, after a few more seconds a prestigious amount of smoke was released.

Turned out the +5v supply smoothing cap had gone dead short and with no fuses to be seen it just melted the W05 type bridge rectifier.

Fortunately there was enough PCB left to bodge in a replacement. Two similar capacitors on the +/- supply were fine.

Reply to
nospam

After 16 hours of "forming" on an 8000uF/16V Lytic I'm down to ~1uA.

I'm amazed! ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Well, my "answer" or response was based on seeing 15 year old WET aluminum electrolytics still OK with no apparent regard to being "wet". Granted, the percentage of decent ones was rather low, but the "baddies" usually could be "repaired" by adding electrolyte and then reforming.

Reply to
Robert Baer