Ohm's law

Ohm's law is not applicable on resistors in DC regime only, but on capacitors and inductors in AC regime as well. This makes Ohm's law formula one of the most practical and popular formulas in physics and engineering.

Read more

and also calculate:

Patrick Chung

N.S. SHERLOCK

Reply to
bulegoge

I'm not sure how ohms's law applies to inductors and capacitors, (I refuse to click on his link). Unless it's the resistive part of the device... that seems a bit to complex for Mr. Chung.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

S domain... But you know that. Looks like click bait

Reply to
bulegoge

Chung is a troll who fathoms himself an electronics expert. Killfile him. ...Jim Thompson

That's one of my pet peeves: "Ohm's law for AC". Ohm's law and the linearity of electromagnetism in a vacuum may be similar looking from a circuits POV, but they arise from completely different physics.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I guess I don't know what "Ohm's law for AC" means. This,?

Which I wouldn't call ohm's law.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The guy's just trolling for traffic on his website, which is poorly written and inaccurate. When first came out with these some of us tried to correct his science, engineering, grammar and spelling -- we got no traction.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I see what you did there :-)

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Impedance with no phase angle (no imaginary part with jomega dependence) = resistance. That condition happens at DC or at resonance. If yer treating the complex number arithmetic right, including the jw(reactance) dependence, the relationships between AC voltage, current and impedance follow Ohm's law.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

The world need a really good electronics web site. EE Times, EEweb, etc are various degrees of awful. I may have to do it.

Too many pretend Physics people and not enough engineers, that's the trouble.

Reply to
gyansorova

Complex Numbers of course, first year elec engineering. If you don't know that there's something wrong with your knob.

Reply to
gyansorova

Mr.LARKIN,

Try EEV Blog Forums, Project Designs and Technical Stuff, and Test Instruments Sections.

Tends to be lightly moderated and farcial fisiks / alien technology posts don't survive long.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

One other plus for EEV Blog. You can have attachments!

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

No, too many journalism majors.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Forums are something else.

I can't stand to watch that squeaky-voiced EEV guy.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Right, that's the peeve. Ohm's law comes out of some very deep physics about quantum collisions, whereas the linearity of coils and capacitors comes from the linearity of Maxwell's equations and the constitutive relations of the dielectric.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 12:08:33 -0500, mixed nuts Gave us:

And then... there are all those nasty little parasitic effects too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:47:50 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

See if Wolfram Alpha has what you are thinking of...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno