offshore manufacturing

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

On a sunny day (Mon, 15 Jul 2019 07:50:11 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

That is all old hat, seen articles like that years ago, this publication is probably trump inspired. It is true in some cases, but then Apple products are made to high quality standards in China or so they claim.

Secrets revealed, sure, but sometimes they will take things and improve on that. I am not that happy about patent systems and maybe that is also why I am for open source software.

Japan in the past also did a lot of copying of US inventions, but significally improved on some things and became a powerful competitor. All the zillion dollar silly fights between Apple and Samsung.. over what a stupid box looks like... That is not good, only good for lawyers. Make something better, sell it, if it is better then people will buy it. If it is better and / or cheaper I do not care _where_ it is made. Improving on things is a way forward. Chinese are cleaver enough, quite possible their processors will take over eventually from Intel, AMD and ARM.

Bit of industrial espionage, so what. US got the rockets from Von Braun by bombing Germany into surrender. trump plays a dirty game by locking up an Huawei executive.

'By any means' is a better description of the state of affairs.

Bit of climate warming and all of S America will move up north for survival, no wall can stop the trillions. and what now is US will fall apart and become a wildernis ruled by warlords and all those cities.... like that planet of the apes movie where they find what is left of the statute of liberty in the sand on a beach.. hehe :-)

Climate; an other glacial period will then come, and if anybody is still left the US cities will be dug up and the ipads found, and they will wonder.. Oops getting carried away here.. better stop.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The article is overly focused on Far East

Hungary and Serbia are good alternatives where quality is somewhat better , and for the European it?s only a couple of hours flight away

Even Mexico is an option, but your chief Trump won?t like it

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Maybe not; Huawei was complicit in falsifying export documentation, set up dummy companies to bypass restrictions on Iran. Maybe China wouldn't prosecute, but Huawei executives who go abroad on work trips, are subject to the local laws.

If a US company cheats abroad, US law does NOT protect them at home. Lockheed, in 1995, paid a fine of $25 million, and had an executive jailed, for bribery in Egypt.

Reply to
whit3rd

On a sunny day (Mon, 15 Jul 2019 14:14:00 -0700 (PDT)) it happened whit3rd wrote in :

Much of all that is politics based, like big fines for Boeing and vice versa for Airbus, for having' government support' If it suits them well they will fine a bit (25 million is peanuts).

Like I said' 'Any means' Anything goes.

Now it is Iran, confiscate their money, Venezuela, so many countries the US bullies. And now he wants to do it to the EU, started by leading UK away from the EU. UK will find out trump is an ego maniac, clueless, and will give them very little negotiation room and not much benefit in trade. trump is extremely stupid at that, as what he does with Huawei and China will cause China to make their own 5G chips so they no longer buy US, further increasing US deficit. China's internal market is very likely able to sustain itself, without any US business, The law 'if a company gets big enough ..' No more US export to China and for example China no longer recognizing US patents would take the game to a totally different level. All trump in the end is, is a stupid clueless, no ethics weapon salesman. One who seems to think the world is a reality show,. In the mean time the nuclear arms of the rest of the world are all pointed at the US and everybody and their cat is making some just in case they need to test.

Seems a predictable outcome.

Some humming beans will survive, maybe as mutants, Oh, and then one will invent the 'black hole bomb' one that changes matter into a little black hole (just a question of density) and that BH then starts sucking in the rest of our solar system,,, There was some concern CERN was up to that, maybe they already have one, and then due to spionage (or spinach) US has the plans, tests it, and there you are, all living inside a dark sphere, oh wait there was a theory that we already live inside such a dark sphere well what do you know.

Sorry. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On 16/07/2019 07:53, Jan Panteltje wrote:> started by leading UK away from the EU We didn't need leading - doing it all ourselves - and in our own way !

Jan - stay off the sauce before posting, and stick to what you know :-)

Talking of which, re your comments a while back about // IO at speed from Raspberry Pi, I now have a set up where I can read into a Pi4 at

16.6 M byte/s and write from it at 23.4Mbyte/s, no Kernel stuff, just plain C code bashing registers. I've seen a lot of talk of being able to go faster but no evidence ! It needs an FPGA with 100MHz clock at the other end.

MK

https://www.avg.com
Reply to
Michael Kellett

If Monty Python were being written now, Brexit enthusiasm would be one of the tests for the upper-class twit of the year.

Boris Johnson would be a leading contender.

Nigel Farrage is no less of a twit, but less upper-class. He went to Dulwich College rather than Eton.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

My great uncle was a tech for Werner von Braun.

Small world, eh?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Which detention center was he in?

Reply to
bitrex

On a sunny day (Tue, 16 Jul 2019 12:24:42 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

I think Von Braun was a very very good experimenter, it shows to me that ONE man who knows what he is doing can outperform all of humanity.

Bottom up! It is the only way. he started with small home build rockets. All the crap IT we have now running on Giggle Hertz computahs with bloat sticking out at all sides. software designed by people who do not even know what electrickety is, most of it can be done wit ha 3$ PIC... All the NASA budget, and no return to the moon, no Mars base. Von Braun had a Mars plan, it was in retrospect cheaper than the shuttle. A shuttle that never did anything for anybody, but did kill people. When politicians dictate science, and those politicians had the nuclear propulsion NASA had working dismantled, then it is back to the dark ages.

Maybe wars are the only way for humanity to come out of that clueless politician ruled darkness, as in wars things that actually WORK will more and more be used.

I was reading German defense minister Von der Leyen was made head of some EU commission, for her to be elected she had to promise to the greens to do even more to fight climate change :-( (defense minister fighting climate oh well must be a coincidence), OTOH she is for a strong European army, maybe we can make it to some planet before anybody else.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Von Braun was clever, and the US was nowhere without him

But he was also ruthless, killing multiple more Jewish workers producing th e V1 than the V1 ever killed in itself

sticking out at all sides.

st of it can be done wit ha 3$ PIC...

Oh, I have encountered that so many times. Asking SW guys why on earth they need a 120MHz processor for a simple task. Often they only think in RTOS c rap that wraps many times lower performance umbrellas on top of a simple re al time task that by the way could be done without CPU heavy resources by i ntelligent use of say a comparator and timer

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Because clock cycles are cheap, developer time is expensive, and nowadays clients expect embedded software to be switched-up and modified on a dime "agile development" just the same as the Android app devs do.

Yeah you can pitch some comparator/timer solution and that you're going to roll with a waterfall-development paradigm like you're designing a high-reliability atomic clock oscillator to exacting specifications, carefully optimized and set-in-stone at the outset like it's 1983 the client is just going to bail on you and go with the first dev who mentions something about Ruby on Rails

Reply to
bitrex

On a sunny day (Wed, 17 Jul 2019 22:15:08 -0400) it happened bitrex wrote in :

The cost of failed IT projects goes in the hundreds of millions. Like for example the tax system here and the police network. It seems the more clueless they are the more they can ask as it then takes forever to do anything. Anyways dinos died at some point.

It is the same with all those big analyzer boat anchors, with a simple DVB-T stick you can often do a lot [more].

You see Raspberry Pi getting the same or more functionality as big power hungry desktop crap.

Much of that IT stuff is so silly that a better network could be set up by some students for a fraction of the cost in a fraction of the time. Did not some students do that for Obamacare a few years back? Do the whole website interface in a weekend?

Bottom up, not that company that teaches you to be a programmer in 3 weeks (was recently in the news). I sometimes see websites (often actually) where I think those that did that worked on. Slow as molasses.

Just like anybody saying 'teach you electronics in 3 weeks', I would stay miles away from that.

Integrated hardware will replace most of that general computing stuff.

Writing software that works first time does not need a weekly upgrade, if you had a house build and it had to be partly taken down every few months (weeks???) to fix problems what would you call such a builder? But for software ? Sure, you can even get a subscription, it is the MS way now ain't it?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

all

g the V1 than the V1 ever killed in itself

s.

at sticking out at all sides.

most of it can be done wit ha 3$ PIC...

they need a 120MHz processor for a simple task. Often they only think in RT OS crap that wraps many times lower performance umbrellas on top of a simpl e real time task that by the way could be done without CPU heavy resources by intelligent use of say a comparator and timer

You are right, for low volume products that is

We do millions per year, so we can spend many hours saving just a few cents . In this case we are talking about above a dollar

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund