Office 2007 experts?

My work laptop was "upgraded' from Office 2003 to Office 2007. Is there any way to set the GUI (toolbars etc) so that it replicates Office 2003?

I am about ready to uninstall this upgrade because the Excel and Word toolbars are a PITA to use.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Nope, cant change the menu look. But there is a chinese program that makes it look like 03. Never tried it.

Martin Riddle

Persist with it, cause once you get to know it you will wonder how you ever survived with out it.

Reply to
The Real Andy

What an excellent time to switch to OpenOffice.org! Learning OOo is no harder than a major Microsoft Office switch, you can put it on every PC in the house for free, and it's a darn good program.

(it even pretends to be compatible with Microsoft Office files, sometimes even well enough to fool Microsoft Office).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

If you decide to go back, I hope you made a copy of your original work that was created via the older package.

I understand that some where along the lines, MS changed the formats of the office package bundles to not support the older styles.

Taking this into account, it's possible your older files could of been converted over to this new style from which I understand is like the biggest secret since the Hersy chocolate bar's formula.!

"

Reply to
Jamie

I second that.

I also use that neat package. For people that do not need to be compliant with others using MS tools, it's great! :)

"

Reply to
Jamie

You can change the default xlt file format to xls, somewhere in the options menu.

Martin Riddle

Exactly! O2k7 rules!

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

You're an idiot. One does not merely hit the save key. One should ALWAYS use the menus, and select the compatibility level one needs, and save the file as a NEW file, idiot.

You understand nothing, but it looks like you make up a lot of things. Somewhere along the line(s), you crossed over into the Rosie O'Retard realm where you believe things that are not true, and never even bother to check for any facts. Starting to seem par for the course with you.

You're an absolute idiot. I use files created in O2k7 ALL the time on my O2k3 machine at work, and at home.

You probably think we didn't go to the moon as well.

Reply to
RoyLFuchs

OO IS capable of opening MS Office files, but it is NOT 100% compliant. MANY, MANY internal file attributes get ignored, or have no Open Office equivalent, so your MS Office created spreadsheets will NOT work in OO, unless they are very, very basic. No, I do not mean VisualBasic. In fact, that is one of the very things OO cannot do.

Reply to
RoyLFuchs

You're a piece of work!

You must of been discarded as road side trash some where in your youth..

"

Reply to
Jamie

There is a german program that also restores the classic UI. There is a free version with classic toolbars for excel, word and powerpoint (nothing for access) and a pay version you can customise.

Does what it says on the 'box'.

Dont use it myself [Office 4.3 fan ;-)], but a client is happy with the free one.

Reply to
IanM

If you plan to submit to a journal, check to see if they will accept MS's "new" PoS formatting.

M$'s "new" (>What an excellent time to switch to OpenOffice.org!

Amen.

The logic seems so intuitive.

Say Jalapeno!

Actually, OOo does backwards-compatibility on "M$-compatible" files BETTER than M$'s own product.

The record is full of instances of folks who use OOo to open and Save an ostensibly M$-compatible document because M$Office WON"T open it.

The part that gets me is that after OOo saves their butts they go back to M$Office to edit the document

--and give M$ more money the next time M$ holds them for ransom with an (unnecessary and defective-by-design) "upgrade".

Reply to
JeffM

Thanks; I will try the German solution (hopefully tool bar will be in English!). I cannot use Open office for my "work" computer as the company is fixated on Windows for business reasons. I might not even have enough "privileges" to install the customizer. I can always go back to "2003" Maybe if I cite ADA rules (my eyesight can't deal with it). I was kind of pissed off when updating a document the other day in Word, I could not find the format painter tool. It is either buried or no longer available. Outlook 2007 e-mail search functions are crippled. I cannot understand MS's obsession with "fixing" everything. Why can't they settle on a decent user interface and simply fix all the bugginess in the OS. I would settle for new and improved meaning that I don't have to reboot once a day or have the computer reboot itself for no reason.

Yes thanks to all that have reminded me that I need to convert my work back to 2003 versions before I downgrade. No I don't think that it is reasonable to have to select a compatibility option before saving. This new interface is pretty lame.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

M$ isn't backwards-compatible with itself either.

Not completely true either:

(Some call it a fork; some call it a version.) It's about as compatible with M$ as M$ ever is with itself.

Reply to
JeffM

Bullshit.

What it does is concatenate away everything that it can not replicate the function of.

Reply to
RoyLFuchs

Can you right-click on a buttonless area of the toolbar, and get a context menu? The earlier models had an option "customize toolbars" or some such.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise wrote: (snip)

I will try that before I install the "German" software I just downloaded. I just got an e-mail (from high above) that we are to use the Office 2007 "for compatibility". Still I might try the ADA argument (eyesight)

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

RoyLFuchs wrote:

I have never heard/seen a complaint about something missing after OOo does a Save on the file. If something was elided, it obviously wasn't necessary in the first place.

Reply to
JeffM

Wasn't necessary?

You're a goddamned idiot. What part of the claim of "compatibility" do you not understand, dipshit?

I have NEVER opened a spreadsheet with OO, which I designed in MS Office, that did not lose formatting, and many other parameters of the original.

You couldn't be farther from the truth.

You are not needed. Go take a flying leap off a tall bridge.

Reply to
RoyLFuchs