OFF topic - siemens gigaset SX bridge mode

Hi.

I have one dump problem setting bridge mode between two different routers. The router that i want to change is in upper floor ( siemens ) and the main router is downstairs ( Thompson ).

The original siemens router has updated firmware and some open source firewall, that i can not access. So instead of this ( and to keep the original router settings ) i want to change the router with same one (with factory settings ). I have found one in the basement and its totally the same model.

So, i went to location and switch the routers on the upper floor. I started the settings and changed to bridged mode.

Problem: Regardless what i do, i always get the message : cable unplugged. but the cable is not unplugged, its connected to LAN4 / wan slot...

I have tried other ports too, but the problem is the same. Diode blinks on each port i have tested... If i switch cables back to old router, everything works just fine.

Where could be a problem ?

This are few setup pictures:

gm

gm prodded the keyboard with:

I should keep you guessing ;-) Check the difference between straight and cross over cables. I had exactly this problem to sort recently. One router does an automatic cross over the other doesn't

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Both are set to Bridge mode?

Should be:

DSL --> WAN_Bridge mode Router_LAN--> WAN_Router

The second router should not be set to PPOE, the Bridge takes care of the connection. The Bridge exposes the WAN MAC.

Martin Riddle

Looks like the Siemens box doesn't have auto-polarity feature on the ethernet ports. So, build a crossover ethernet cable for going between the two routers LAN ports. Don't plug anything into the Siemens WAN (internet) port.

However, it's not going to work. If you're going to use the Siemens as an access point, you'll need to disable the DHCP server in the Siemens box or you will have two DHCP servers on the network, which is a rather bad idea. If it has RIP2 running, you'll also need to turn that off. Sorry, but you'll need to gain access to the web config in the Siemens or you're stuck with buying a different router.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

why keep them?

so why was it there?

you have no cable btween floors?

see question 2

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

------------------ Thanx for reply guys.

I dont think that the cable is a problem because the routers are totally the same. The only difference is that "old" siemens router has some open source firewall. I think it's openWRT but am not sure.

The main router and the "OLD" upper floor router are connected and old siemens is working fine. The cable from main router (Thomson ) is connected to LAN4 / WAN port and this is working for cca 2 years.

The only thing that i want to do is to change this old siemens wit one without firewall. Other option would be to reset firmware on old siemens, but then i will loose setup for some future use.

So, i have switched original siemens with my sx router ( the same model ), connected the cables, on the same way as on original router and i went into web config setup where i have set router to bridge mode. The setup photos are in original post.

Why i get message that the cable is unplugged... i dont know. Maybe, it is HW issue but why is it working on the original router ( totally the same model as mine ). ?

GM

Reply to
gm