Odd Telephone Line "Signal"

Question for your guys experienced in telephone circuits...

Every 30 minutes it looks like my on-hook voltage drops from 50VDC to ZERO for a fraction of a second.

It happens so fast I can't get an accurate read on it... but the auto-ranging DVM drops from "V" to "mV"

What is this all about? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Some one may be working at the CO.

Moving a rack or something.

I was this when I got DSL.

My Caller ID box went berserk over this for days, then it stopped.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Some one may be working at the CO.

Moving a rack or something.

It was like this when I got DSL.

My Caller ID box went berserk over this for days, then it stopped.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

This is deadly on 30 minute intervals. I even was able to set an accurate pop-up on my calendar to make sure I watched the DVM ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

There was a phone came out here years ago used to 'short' the line every approx 20 minutes or so to charge an internal battery, played havoc with modems, dropping current connection. Wonder if you have something like that regularly sipping a charge off the line voltage?

Got a data recording whatsit you can hang off the line for a while?

How paranoid you feeling this week? ;^)

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me ;-)

But that's an interesting thought about a phone grabbing some "charge". We have six phones in the house, 4 different brands. I'll check that out. Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... [snip]

Yeah, I'd be interested to know if that's what it is. I've been trying to think of what it could be but nothing's happening.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Interesting, this was one of those posts where your first message didn't show on my news server. Censored posts, mysterious clicks on the phone line, maybe the goons are coming ...

Did you peek through the curtains whether that big black sedan with the tinted windows is still parked at the street corner?

Do you have an alarm system? If yes it might regularly check the phone line to see if it can get a dial tone.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

This is their test desk. It probably is actually a program on their #5 ESS or whatever switch you are on, and it scans all the lines and connects the test equipment to all on-hook lines to check for anomalies like weak grounds. By analyzing this data with programs, they can detect trends, such as water getting into cables, that need immediate attention. It might not become evident from customer service requests until several weeks later.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Either the CIA, the Taliban, or Homeland Security is tapping your line.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Do you have voicemail sending VMWI signals? Googling finds that there are many proprietary signals that may be on a phone line in addition to the modern FSK data, including periodic zero voltage.

--
I will not see posts from Google or e-mails from Yahoo because I must
filter them as spam

It is the feds establishing their wire-tapping system. Since 911 this warrantless search has been increasing. And your tin hat will not help..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Do not laugh..

Reply to
Robert Baer

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Hi Jim

It might be those "science-fiction" analog line TDR - one dimensional radar?:

Time Domain Reflectometer (TDR):

If somebody dig/cut/short/water-short the analog phone-line(s) the telephone company can pinpoint how far down the line it happened - and when; with an accuracy of 1/2 hour?

-

Many bigger network switches has TDR-features on TP-cable for trouble- shooting purposes.

The reason - Gbit (and 10 Gbit) requires enormous amount of DSP - why use a little DSP on TDR?

/Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Yes. But I unplugged it from the phone line to check... it's not the source. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Ok, is there a cable TV setup with optional pay TV? Many bill via a phone data transmission and might do similar line checks.

Other than that, plus in a POTS "phone-phone", zero electronics in there, and disconnect everything else. If it till does the pulsing then it has to be the line, and I'd be looking for that black sedan :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

I get all my TV and Internet via Cox _cable_.

I plan on doing that, probably on a holiday weekend when I'm expecting no calls... like the upcoming memorial Day.

I certainly have my enemies. The local Letters-to-the-Editor are laced with "hate Jim" mail. All, of course, from useless slugs on society, aka Leftist Weenies ;-)

In a fit of pique I just registered "liberalsaredummies.com" ;-)

That ought to raise my enemies level :-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

in

ll

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

=3D

It does sound like a script running back at the CO. Given the migration to wireless, my bet is the POTS infrastructure is dying in-place. Maybe the script is load-testing the batteries, and what Jim's seeing is the "brownout" from batteries that are well past prime.?

Reply to
mpm

Automated loop test. If the line is inactive, it gets tested, if active then it is skipped until the next test.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

A picture of Sloman on that site would send it through the roof. ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.