Odd DVM readings -- seek help

Could some electronics guru please shed some light on the following ? I have a test setup consisting of a

+15 Volt, 2A (max) DC power supply that is feeding a simple push pull free running multivibrator. A bifilar winding coil with 40 turns each, has the DC connected to the common node.The other two nodes are connected to a collector each of the two power transistors of the multivibrator, via a current limiting resistor. For test purposes the power transistors are MJE13005. The power supply is linear.

The odd thing that I have noticed is as follows.

I take a standard DVM, set it to AC voltage measurement touch the power supply GND pin with one of the DVM probes, and then youch the other probe tip with my finger tip, and the DVM reads 8.8 Volts. If I remove my finger, the meter display shows the same for a minute or so before slowly reducing to zero.

Also, if I once again set the DVM to AC voltage measurement, and put one of the probes on the power supply GND pin and the other probe on the bifilar coil common node, the meter reads 20 Volts.

I am not sure about what is causing these meter readings. Any hints, suggestions would be of immense help. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
dakupoto

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 1:37:21 PM UTC+10, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

Every workplace is full of 50Hz/60Hz electromagetic field radiation, from t he mains wiring.

You are an aerial, and a high-input impedance digital voltmeter can detect to radiation you pick up vis-a-vis some nearby ground point.

Make sure that the two leads of your DVM are connected to points that share a common ground before you take the output seriously.

It's a bit more obvious if you wave oscilloscope probes around - you get to see the 50/60Hz trace on the screen.

I had the same problem once with an electron beam voltage tester. You had t o ground whatever it was you were testing to the same ground as the electro n microscope, and the guy that had just got the machine hadn't bothered to do that. I plugged in the ground connection to the right place, and the pro blem went away.

I'd written the bit of the manual that said you had to ground everything - in English - and clearly I hadn't made the point emphatically enough for a French engineer.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

  1. The readings you are getting with only one probe connected and you touching the other is because you are acting as antennna picking up the oscillator capacitively, and also ambient mains, AM broadcast etc etc. This is because the DMM has such a high input impedance.

The reading takes time to decay because internally the DMM has a filter capacitor after the rectifier.

  1. The 20V reading you get on the AC range when connected across the 15V supply is possibly because your DMM is DC sensitive even on the AC range. You can test this by seeing how it responds to pure DC on the AC ranges and then try swapping test probes round. My guess is your DMM has a simple half wave (single diode) rectifier and although responsive to the peak voltage is calibrated to read the RMS equivalent assuming the input is sine, hence 15V reads as a bit over 20V.

To be sure your meter is only responding to AC you could connect a capacitor in series with it so no DC can pass.

Using an oscilloscope is very instructive and revealing. A lot can be learnt from even the simplest cheapest uncalibrated 'scope.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

French engineer doesn't know you have to ground a meter ?

Maybe we better take their nuclear power plants away.

Reply to
jurb6006

+1 for put a 'scope on it.
Reply to
George Herold

+2

or try a Simpson 260

makolber

Thanks to each of you for pointing out the cause of the problem.

Reply to
dakupoto