O/T: why knot? - Page 2

Re: O/T: why knot?

Sailor in the sense of kayaking.

1) Bowline knot - a good way to put a loop on the end of a rope.  I use it
for securing many things like a line to a boat that isn't temporary or to j
ust have a loop on a rope to toss on a piling.  I tie it by remembering the
 thing about the rabbit coming out of the hole and around the tree and back
 into the hole.  However, after you have tied these a couple of hundred tim
es you realize it is the same knot as the Sheet bend but with the same piec
e of rope for both parts.

2) Clove hitch - this is a great knot for tying the other end of a line to
a piling or round post.  Not sure it works as well if the post is square.
Easy to tie no matter what really, but super easy when one end of the post
is free and you can slip two loops of the line over the top, pull taught an
d you are done.

3) Sheet bend - good way to connect two lines that are not the same size or
 even if they are.  A doubled sheet bend is very secure.

4) Two Half Hitches & Taut-Line Hitch - I used to use two half hitches thin
king I was using a taut-line hitch, but they are similar.  Used to make a c
onnection that needs to be tightened after it is tied.  On the taut-line hi
tch you can tie the last loop either direction and it seems to work both wa
ys just fine.  References will show it either way.

http://www.mdscbsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/5114-Cub-Scout-Knots-Bruc
e-Lezer.pdf

A friend ties his kayak to the roof with a variation of the trucker's hitch
 but it sure seems overkill to me.  That hitch seems to be about being able
 to tighten it up as you tie it.

A chain sinnet is a good way to stow a rope so it can be pulled out quickly
 without tangling.  It takes a little time to prepare, but is good for emer
gency lines where you don't have time to screw with untangling.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: O/T: why knot?
On a sunny day (Mon, 10 Jun 2019 12:42:33 -0700 (PDT)) it happened RichD

This good enough for you?
 https://www.animatedknots.com/

Re: O/T: why knot?

Most people know figure-8 (stop knot), bowline, sheet bend, reef knot
and clove hitch. Drop the reef knot, and add the trucker's hitch (for
tying loads) and Hunter's knot for a very strong rope-joining bend.

Especially Hunter's knot, it's awesome. Most scouts (and books) don't
even know it.

Clifford Heath.

Re: O/T: why knot?

Hunter's hitch?  Generally not recommended because of relatively low
strength and jams under moderate load.  I would never use it; the
figure-8 bend, ring bend or double overhand bend are all better in all
regards.  Just because you can't untie it doesn't mean it is strong!

My two preferred sources of knot info are "On Rope:..." by Bruce Smith,
which has excellent info on selecting the best rope for the job as well
as detailed info on the most useful climbing and rigging knots:

<https://www.amazon.com/Rope-American-Vertical-Techniques-Rappellers/
dp/1879961059>

And more applicable to my typical use, "The Tree Climber's Companion: A
Reference And Training Manual For Professional Tree Climbers".  Since I
am not a professional I review the later book prior to every climb to be
sure I am not forgetting anything.

Both of these books emphasize learning a small number of knots very well,
rather than learning a large number of knots.  They go well beyond what
the OP wanted, but they are fairly cheap and interesting IMHO.

Glen

Re: O/T: why nought?
@fx46.iad:

notty knotty naughty noughty

  now-T

  It is naughty and not appropriate to discuss noughty knots.

  He's a real not here man...

  Sitting in his nought here land...

  Making all his knot here plans for knot bodies...

  Doesn't have a knot to tie...

  Unlike George he can knot lie...

  Doesn't he knot like you and me...

Re: O/T: why knot?

On the other extreme, there's Encyclopedia of Knots and Fancy Rope Work, by
Graumont and Hensel (a good gift book if you know someone interested in macrame).
My go-to is Cyrus Day's _Knots and Splices_,  which is more into the old school
of splicing (and whipping) natural fiber rope.   I'm not as fond of the options for
slippery artificial fibers, but a good eye splice does amuse and relax me from time to time.

Re: O/T: why knot?

I have no idea what that is. I mean Hunter's bend, not a hitch:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter 's_bend>

"...stronger than the fisherman's bend, sheet bend or reef knot" -
Wikipedia.

If I care more about reliability than rope strength or ease of undoing,
I'll use a fishermans' bend instead. Figure-8 bend is painful to make,
and double overhand is hard to undo. Ring bend (water knot) is good for
webbing but harder to both make and undo than Hunter's.

No turn of the rope is around fewer than two diameters of rope so it
gets maximum strength from the rope. I've never had one jam - it undoes
as easily as does a bowline and in the same way. Compared to the reef
knot that every scout is taught to use, it is superior in every way. The
reef knot buckles and fails totally if it hits a pulley - even a sheet
bend is better than that.

The method for tying it (shown on Wikipedia) is hopeless, there's a much
simpler way. Hold the two overlapping strands parallel, form a loop, and
flip both ends through. It pops into the correct form when you yank on it.

I like monkey's fist for putting a handle on the end of a rope, but you
sure need a lot of spare rope: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey 's_fist>

Clifford Heath

Re: O/T: why knot?

Huh nice, I like the figure eight bend.
I think we should classify knots into two categories.
Permanent, and those that are meant to be untied.
I like the fishermen's bend as a perm. splice.
(for tents/ tarps and stuff. Nothing with a
life hanging on the end of the rope...
well a fish life is OK :^)

George H.

These days with ratchet straps, I hardly use ropes
anymore.

Re: O/T: why knot?

not convinced.

This "enginner" knows that the knots you want are in the
scout manual.

https://www.traditionalscouting.co.uk/documents/scout_handbook/The%20Scout%20Handbook.pdf
page 11