O.T. Place Ampere

I'm in Lyon at the moment, and I've just walked back from Place Ampere, whi

close to Lyon, and got a lot of his education there.

I've spent more time at the Royal Institution in London, which was Michael Faraday's stamping ground, and I worked for a couple of years at EMI Centra l Research where Allan Dower Blumlein used to work.

I'm not sure that I've paid enough attention to the pioneers of our field, but I'm at least conscious of them.

--
Bill Sloman, sydney
Reply to

... and Godfrey Hounsfield, one of the few (or only) engineers to get a Nobel Prize.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There was Simon van der Meer.

I myself hadn't heard of Hounsfield, though. That has been set straight then.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Not to mention C.A.G.LeMay, who invented the "back projection" reconstructi on scheme that made Hounsfield's idea practical. I wasn't all that impresse d with either of them, and actively backed away from a project supervised b y LeMay, who lived up to my worst fears by fiddling with the equipment afte r everybody had gone home in the evenings and didn't document his changes. His team had to spend their mornings finding out what he had done and docum enting or correcting it.

Bill Percival, who had invented the Percival distributed amplifer back when Blumlein was around, was a much more respectable figure.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

"Ampere" doesn't sound like an American name. Not interested. I measure current in Edisons

Reply to
bitrex
[snip]
[snip]

Mopping the floors ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Can't say I ever did. I did get a couple of patents out of EMI Central Research, but they were almost as enthusiastic about patenting stuff as IBM.

One was bit amusing. I'd put something into report that looked obvious to me, but after I'd had to explain why it was obvious some half-dozen times, it struck me that it might not have been obvious to those skilled in the art. Ergo, patentable.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If you want to cut some of the chaf and enjoy the group a bit better, killfile JT. He adds nothing of value and usually posts OT, slander, and insults.

Reply to
John S

I don't killfile anybody. Some of the more rabid jerks - and JT is pretty rabid - still have useful stuff to say about electronics (though not that often).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Rabid is the correct tag for him. His electronics could be enlightening except for his chest thumping. He is disgusting.

Reply to
John S

So that's something *else* you're wilfully ignorant about, then. I wonder at times why you went to college at all.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I doubt that he did. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

I think the capacitor was invented here:

In fact, electronic television was invented on Green Street here in San Francisco.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Wonder how long it took after the invention of all-electronic television before it was used to display the first all-electronic image of a naked lady. Probably about twelve minutes I'm guessing

Reply to
bitrex

First caps were invented in Leiden, Holland., AFAIK hence "Leiden Jar".

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's the fact. What's also interesting, is the counterfact that it was Zworykin. The patent battle was fierce and nasty.

Reply to
whit3rd

You missed a chance to say "currently".

I'm just contributing to a proposal with an arrangement using something Blumlein patented between the wars.

Many of the old papers are well worth reading- not only concise and authoritative but they also contain nuggets of experimental practice that modern authors tend to omit.

I wonder if there is anything dedicated to Sir Charles Wheatstone..

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I was particularly impressed by his pulse forming network that puts the full charging voltage across the load, rather than just half of it. It took me while to understand, because all the publications I could get my hands on at the time only showed the triple coaxial tubes of a typical high-voltage implementation, but omitted connection details or a clear equivalent circuit. Since then, I've used it a few times in projects.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

born close to Lyon, and got a lot of his education there.

hael Faraday's stamping ground, and I worked for a couple of years at EMI C entral Research where Allan Dower Blumlein used to work.

eld, but I'm at least conscious of them.

I think they just mined the mica there. One prospector to another, "How much mica did you find today?" "Oh about three Farads."

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I read once that Michael Faraday doubted a Farad would ever be realized.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany