O.T. more about arctic methane hydrate reserves.

Some people from Norway and Wales have been looking at Arctic sea-floor

This is just an abstract. I might be able to persuade a contact to dig out the full text if anybody was interested - e-mail me privately if you want me to try.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

They stipulate that anthropogenic warming is the background against their paper.

"Our results highlight the complex interplay between the cryosphere, geosphere, and atmosphere over the last 30,000 y that led to extensive changes in subseafloor carbon storage that forced distinct episodes of methane release due to natural climate variability well before recent anthropogenic warming. "

Again, if their data is freely available then it could well be of interest, however if no supporting data, then just anther apocalyptic story.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

out the full text if anybody was interested - e-mail me privately if you wa nt me to try.

It's the background of any serious scientific work in the area - like the s un rising in the east.

ry.

It's not an apocalyptic story - just an investigation of what seems to be g oing on. I've got no idea how "freely available" the data might be. The cur rent convention is to make as much as possible accessible, but how intellig ible it might be is anybody's guess.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Here is a Norwegian site (in English) with a bit more of the story not behind a paywall.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

-new-blow-outs/

That's fascinating, and does flesh out more of the story that Fred Bloggs f ound about methane in the Arctic atmosphere, as measured by aeroplanes flyi ng though it. It also adds a bit to story I found about methane plumes shif ting nutrient rich bottom water up to the surface where it fertilised algae blooms which turned out to capture more CO2 than the methane bubbling up t hrough them.

The pressure-versus-temperature balance may be fine enough that a 10 metre sea-level rise might be enough to preserve some of the methane hydrate dome s if the Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets decide to slide off into t he ocean early enough.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

oor

ig

or-new-blow-outs/

found about methane in the Arctic atmosphere, as measured by aeroplanes fl ying though it. It also adds a bit to story I found about methane plumes sh ifting nutrient rich bottom water up to the surface where it fertilised alg ae blooms which turned out to capture more CO2 than the methane bubbling up through them.

e sea-level rise might be enough to preserve some of the methane hydrate do mes if the Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets decide to slide off into the ocean early enough.

The Japanese and Chinese want to extract it and are aggressively pursuing t he technology to do so:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred