O.T. Moody’s Investor Service, might cut the US credit rating

I suppose it could be interesting to see what kind of twaddle Russia Today and the Daily Mail feed the gullible brain dead - of which Cursitor Doom is particularly flagrant example - but if I actually wanted to see it (which I don't) I'd go to the original sources.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

s account. Guess that didn't work out like it was supposed to...

The nature of the investment does matter. Buying US government bonds is an investment of a sort, but not a particularly productive one.

This is the anti-Keynesian claim. If you are in a recession, you can move t he economy closer to full production by spending money in the right way, wi th people who can be relied on to spend most of what they get.

This stops doing anything useful as soon as the economy is out of recession and running close to full capacity,and could then lead to inflation.

investment, and businesses tend to do that better than individuals.

If the individuals own a businesses, and invest in making the business more productive, they are likely to do it exactly as well as a business being r un by mangers.

First find a business worth running - and it took John Larkin two attempts before he got that right.

If a doctor injects a stimulant, the aim isn't to give you a rush, and the short term stimulus can make the difference between life and death.

John Larkin has spent too much time listening to James Arthur, whose econom ics is somewhat old-fashioned - balancing humours by bleeding the patient - and didn't work too well during the Great Depression, which James Arthur d oesn't actually accept. Shrinking the economy by 25% over three years was v itally necessary - in his view - but he didn't seem to know why.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

"this year" is the operant phrase. Constant stimulus is short-term attractive and long-term destructive.

The traditional functions of government are to use taxes for public safety and to maintain the roads. Both of those functions have become, around here, secondary to power mongering.

Savings are slow to become productivity. Some businesses have growth time constants measured in generations. That's why the recent cut in business tax rates may be a winner in the long term.

As I've claimed before, the ideal business tax rate is zero. For many reasons.

lunatic fringe electronics

There are two ways an economy can grow: produce more or steal more.

You can't stimulate and consume your way to prosperity. Would it boost the economy of Zimbabwe if the governmant paid everyone to order a 72" TV?

lunatic fringe electronics

The money multiplier theories are goofy math; of course dollar bills get reused before they wear out. Conservation of stuff is real: you can't consume more stuff than you produce or borrow or steal. The borrowing and stealing options can have bad consequences.

So let businesses grow and produce.

I'm reading the Sister Frevisse Medieval Mystery books. One recurring theme is how poor and cold and hungry and sick people were 1000 years ago. How low their productivity was. How primitive their technology.

lunatic fringe electronics

If it hit them directly, the ERs would be full.

The money that my corporation saves, to tide over low spots or to eventually invest in products and facilities, isn't my personal wealth. If I take it out of the corporation, it would be taxed as personal income. That's the reason to have low business taxes and higher income and sales tax: to shift some consumption into investment.

I could quadruple my income short-term, but I'd rather build the company for my employees and kids. Some people think money is fun, but I think electronics is more fun. Money is just a tool for design, like an oscilloscope.

Accumulated savings can be invested to create productivity hence jobs, but the time constant is longer than for stimulus spending. Which is why we live in houses, not caves.

I suppose caves were once valued real estate. There aren't actually many caves.

lunatic fringe electronics

Certainly not. But I'm sure there are international lenders who would gladly furnish the Zimbabwe government with loans to do so, judging by the way South America gets away with constant serial defaults.

Cursitor Doom

John Larkin wrote

Read better books. And still, here you are.

Life stiles were different I am sure.

And the native Americans.. were not really so unhappy

And all the countries US destroys with its wars and the suffering it causes for all those people, today, need to be taken into account for your high tech achievements.

Was reading Venezuela hosted some nice Russian bombers:

What a beautiful plane! Designed and produced originally in the USSR. Now improved and maybe a signal to 'merrica to buzz off.

The world is closing in.

Just keep making war and _you_ will be the one who is cold and hungry and sick.

Not different from medieval times, wars were common then too. Or fights between people in the jungle. May the best one win.

You got design work to do! ;-)

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

B1 copy; giant expensive target for cheap missiles.

The world is getting better. Crop yields are way up, poverty is way down, birth rates are falling, people are living longer and better.

They should just stop fighting.

Problem is, I get way ahead of my support, specifically PCB layout, FPGA programming, embedded C, and Python test programming.

It's amazing how easy it is these days to whip out an architecture and a schematic. More and more of the work in a product is text, code.

I will *not* enter schematics as text.

lunatic fringe electronics

John Larkin wrote

Yes and no Nevertheless, Lt. Gen. Igor Khvorov claimed that Tu-160s managed to penetrate the US sector of the Arctic undetected on 25 April 2006, leading to a USAF investigation according to a Russian source.[44] It is better, not many missiles at 15 km altitude and it can fly Mach2.

In your US the life expectancy is falling.

It is a jungle.

Yes Turing machines, And there is analog. I did read this today:

paper:
(Beware of brain damage reading it hehe) He seems to claim (my math left me here) that analog computing can do things digital ones cannot, uses the traveling salesman problem as example, but shows only his funny math, I see no circuits...

But code, yes, and the more we work with processors FPGA the more HDL and the less board design.

That is why some things I build have only one PIC a few decoupling caps and very little wiring.. to connectors. Piece of A4 paper is enough.

Oh well we have ASCII circuits diagrams :-)

0--|>|-----0 | === --- | /// That is always fun
Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

The military has learned that to keep the 700 billion flowing, it needs enemies. It does no good to win in Afganistan. That would reduce the cash flow.

It helps to get a few soldiers killed. Then they can say - "See? If we don't fight them, they will end up planting poppies on the White House lawn." So the wars continue.

The military continues ludricously expensive projects. The F-35 that is projected to cost 1.5 trillion over the lifetime. It is so complex that only about 50% are available for service at any one time. The others are waiting for spare parts. Good planning.

It has such a short range that an aircraft carrier cannot approach the Chinese coast without risk of carrier killer missiles sinking it. Now they have to develop stealth tankers. How much will they cost? About the same. Lockheed has figured out the game.

Aircraft carriers used to cost around 2 billion. The latest versions cost around 14 billion. They were delivered with numerous flaws. The electromagnetic launchers cannot be turned off individually. So if one needs servicing, both have to be disabled.

It takes real genius to fail this well.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

12.html

The debt is complicated but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understan d we're heading for disaster.

spx

Here's the scary part, the actual numbers it takes to service this massive debt.

FY 2018 is $523,017,301,446.12 , which is a HUGE chunk of revenue. It's not possible for them to balance the budget, much less even begin to pay down the debt, at this magnitude of debt service and our spending levels, withou t causing some kind of catastrophic political and economic upheaval. The ec onomy will never grow to match this black hole of squandered wealth, it's a ctually falling short of keeping up with what we have now.

For practical purposes, the debt service is re-borrowed in total every year , so that we're heading for a $1 Trillion annual debt service within about

14 years. This is almost certainly a low ball estimate because the governme nt is going to start to have to increase borrower yields sometime soon, to remain competitive.
Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Goofy or not, it is a heuristic that has brought big improvements in living standards.

It works, like fiat money, so long as people *believe* in it and promises like "I promise to pay the bearer the sum of...."

Is "conservation of promises" real? Because that's all that fiat money is.

Not with sufficient certainty, e.g. since 2007.

Kum-bay-yah!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

A sensible idea! Nobody can agree on what to cut, though. The Left suggests buying somewhat fewer $500 million fighter aircraft package deals, the Right suggests cutting PBS, public education, food stamps for children. y'know the usual debate.

Reply to
bitrex

Why build strategic bombers when you can make ICBMs and cruise missiles.

I suspect that everything much bigger than a hummingbird or a rowboat is being tracked full-time now. Those disappearing airliners were probably being tracked but nobody wants to disclose their capabilities.

Well, don't smoke or inject street drugs.

I do 15 and 32 page schematics. Lots of analog i/o to do real stuff. The uPs and FPGAs (or lately just one SOC) are just tucked away into one corner of the board. Usually a bunch of power supplies.

I draw my schematics on D-size vellum with a very good pencil. The kids are amused.

lunatic fringe electronics

The US government will just print all the money it needs. They can do that. After years of QE and zero interest rates, that's inevitable.

Buy real estate.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yeah, but if you think keeping the peace is expensive, just try war! It's an extremely unfortunate situation all round (unless you're an arms manufacturer). The amount of resources thrown away in defence projects is shameful, but probably unavoidable, since we humans just cannot trust each other. :(

Cursitor Doom

We *know* the situation is ultimately unsustainable and will collapse at some point with catastrophic consequences for us all (directly or indirectly). The only question is *when* and what (if a single event) precipitates the collapse?

Cursitor Doom

You misspelled "CNN". They can't even beat "The Hallmark Channel" or "Home and Garden TV". At least Hallmark admits that it's fiction.

Reply to
krw

On Dec 16, 2018, John Larkin wrote (in article):

I very much doubt that this is true over the entire surface of the Earth. Even if the sensors existed, the analysis organizations would simply be overwhelmed by the mixture of false and true targets.

For example, in migration season, an ordinary radar can have 100,000 flocks of geese in the radar coverage area. For smaller birds, there are orders of magnitude more birds per square kilometer. And so on. Now, extrapolate this to the entire word.

As for famous disappearing commercial airliners, if the spooks did know, I

in a new search-area hunch. This was the traditional approach.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn