O.T.: Interesting article in the New Yorker

Don't know much if anything about internal US politics and whose job is what but the Russians are quite certainly exactly after sowing discord, division, hatred etc., what better way to weaken their enemies. You won't believe the amount of troll posts only in the comments under the news in Bulgarian news sites (95+% of all posts). Probably the same elsewhere, they _do_ have the troll factories and who know how many "subcontractors" etc., it is cheap. In Europe they push towards division between the EU states, boost as much as they can euroscepticism etc., by how much they have influenced the brexit vote is anybody's guess but they did push this way as strongly as they could. And then I remember once seeing something about Putin personally hating Hillary for some reason (not sure what it was and just "pretty sure" about the credibility of my memory though).

Dimiter

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Er, the rule of thumb with the Daily Wail is that you need to check anything in its articles with other sources.

Infamously the Wail divides substances into ones that cause cancer and ones that cure cancer. For "fun" examples, see

OTOH, the Wail does have good pictures, e.g.

Tom Gardner

Nah. Now that I see where you get your ideas, it's just not worht wasting my time.

But it's too bad you don't read those horrible left-wing papers. Some of the articles on Trump are hilarious.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

We get the New York Times on Sunday and the San Francisco Chronicle every day. Both are hard left. The endless anti-Trump articles and letters are mostly juvenile insults without content, which is obvious at a glance and why I skip them.

Now *this* is interesting:

from CNN, The Clinton News Network! The NYT said something similar.

These lefty journals always suck up to power, so I figured that they would have to come around eventually. They are also beginning to realize that they are boring hence losing readers.

lunatic fringe electronics

If Fox or your Mail said that water contains hydrogen, you and Sloman would reflexively deny that as fake news.

So, you contend that the North Korean news is false?

lunatic fringe electronics

We have a gigantic supply of troll posts without needing expensive imports. Someone, perhaps Russins, maybe even official Russians, spent a couple million dollars making counter-effective Facebook and Twitter posts, in an election where the Clintonists wasted over a billion dollars.

The real story is how ineffective the Russians, or whoever, were.

The *real* story is how ineffective the Clinton campaign was, but the lefty press prefers to blame evil foreigners.

This is a wonderful book:

A beautiful example of another failure of expertise and the triumph of instinct.

lunatic fringe electronics

I'd certainly look for other sources before considering taking it seriously! The Daily Mail is not actively promoting "fake news", in the way that Russia Today does - it is simply trying to entertain people and make more sales without having any particular concern about the accuracy of its articles. It really does not care if the articles it publishes are true or not, and it certainly has no concerns about giving unbalanced or biased views. Whatever sells copies is good enough for them.

Given the number of other sources, I guess the basis is fact. The /spin/ - who set it up, what they will talk about, why they are meeting now, what the results will be - that is a lot more speculative.

Reply to
David Brown

No, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they got that right. I would expect hydrogen to be "cancer causing", not "cancer curing".

To take one recent (4th Jan) article... Energy saving lightbulbs cause cancer, migranes, dizzyness, loss of focus...

There's a whole minor industry in cataloguing the Wail's dubious clickbait health claims :)

TBH I haven't been following it in detail. Both principal parties will say whatever gives them a short-term advantage. NK has done that repeatedly over the years. If and when something is agreed, then it will be worth understanding it in detail - but given the history, I'm not holding my breath.

I found it interesting that SK was talking (and more) to NK despite Trumps' explicit dislike of that. I idly wonder whether that implies: - SK would be delighted at a reunification where they get their paws on nukes and missiles - they aren't too worried about offending the US, potentially because they feel China will be more important to them

Reply to
Tom Gardner

or

- smart people are playing the game

lunatic fringe electronics

Indeed. Or some people that are smart in some domains and think they are smart in others.

Time will tell; that's why I haven't been paying attention, and more than I've been paying attention to what different factions of the government want from Brexit.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Incorrect. From the government itself,

"Are foreign governments the only foreign principals?

No. The term also includes foreign political parties, A _PERSON_ or organization outside the United States, except U.S. citizens, and _ANY ENTITY ORGANIZED UNDER THE LAWS OF A FOREIGN COUNTRY_ or having its principal place of business in a foreign country." (emphasis added)

That would include Steele both as a foreign national, and Orbis, his business, domiciled in a foreign country.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yes. Mueller's assassination team leaks anti-Trump info so freely we'd know if they had *something* after two years of illegal surveillance, investigation, witch-hunt, etc. But they don't.

OTOH, in 2012 we all saw Obama caught promising Putin missile defense concessions ("flexibility"), after and if he were re-elected . But, Obama indicated, he couldn't do it then (because Americans wouldn't re-elect him if they knew).

There's Obama soliciting a quid pro quo, colluding with Putin. There's Obama offering to compromise the United States' defense, offering "Aid and Comfort" to an enemy.

But promising an enemy "flexibility" harmful to the US on video? Not a big deal, evidently.

Hilarious. After decades of serial appeasement got this guy in the nuke business, Trump cracks him. Hilarious.

That's a keeper.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

,

ce

Not actually true. They aren't as right-wing as John Larkin would like them to be, but they don't obsess about trade union politics, nor think that su n shines out of Kim Jong-Il's bottom.

ithout content, which is obvious at a glance and why I skip them.

Trump is a pretty much non-stop screw-up, and documenting his fatuous tweet s is pretty much a full time job. John Larkin is a fellow ego-maniac and di sapproves of this. Disinterested observers don't.

They'll be even more impressed if he proves the Legendre prime hypothesis ( which is rather more likely to happen). Trump's egomania means that he is s etting himself up for a giant pratfall, and the newspapers are well aware o f it , even if John Larkin isn't.

Dream on.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Perhaps, but he wan't trying to influence the election, even if the Americans who hired him might have had that in mind.

James Arthur loves misleading his readers. Sadly for his reputation, he's pretty transparent about it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

DC-701_964x466.jpg

Probably not. But since "hydrogen" is a polysyllable is unlikely to appear in the Daily Mail or be articulated on Fox News.

Far from it. Kim Jong-Il has played to Trump's egomania, and no doubt expec ts to do at least as well out of him as his father did out of Marilyn Albri ght. Marilyn Albright was a skilled diplomat (which Trump isn't) and rather better at taking expert advice.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

estigation, witch-hunt, etc. But they don't.

James Arthur gets all the "leaks" that the Trump team invents, but fails to notice that he doesn't know where the "leaks" are coming from.

Ken Starr kept up his investigation rather longer than Mueller has so far, so there is a precedence for persistence.

He hasn't cracked him yet. A more objective observer might think that Kim J ong-Il has played on Trump's desire to be seen to be making a deal to get h im to agree to a meeting where he isn't going to get anything, and may well be fobbed off with the kind of deal the Marilyn Albright signed with Kim's father.

A long sleeved shirt (strait-jacket) with the same slogan would be more app ropriate.

Trump isn't actually crazy - merely ignorant - and it's his ignorance, rath er than his lunacy which is taking him to the conference table.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Trump did win, even if he lost the popular vote by some 62,984,825 to 65,853,516.

65,853,516 votes doesn't say "ineffective". The electoral college vote does make it clear that the Clinton campaign should have put more effort into small states and under-educated voters.

Or, in more realistic terms, another book designed to appeal to rich Republicans, who have more money to spend on books than the average Democrat.

John Larkin also likes "The Bell Curve" which was designed to appeal to the same demographic (which isn't all that good at critical thinking).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

> --
>
> John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc
>
> lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
bill.sloman

It doesn't apply if he is outside the US, of course: no jurisdiction. And, it's unclear that 'his business' matters any more than his nationality, since he was not an agent of that business, but an owner.

As agent of a principal, his principal was Hillary and her domestic retinue.

Reply to
whit3rd

ce

simply

?Flynn,

?

n, to influence an American election.

iminal:

on,

hird,

FBI,

ated contained

eliant

from

fluence

/

e.

loc

Well I don't want any of those,

But I did just want to say that I think Dems are going wacko about Trump and Kim. I mean the whole thing could blow up, but wtf give it a shot. Kim just want's a little respect, Kim and Trump are kinda the same. It has some chance of working, and Dems should be behind it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

,

lace

dly

as simply

?Flynn,

?

ion, to influence an American election.

criminal:

tion,

third,

he FBI,

inated contained

reliant

y from

influence

me/

ime.

-bloc

Oh, I liked the article Bill, I'd heard most of it before, (except that the part that the Russkies, may have had a hand in axing Romney for State.) GH

Reply to
George Herold