Nylon braid (?)

Hi,

On past (military) projects, we'd run cable harnesses in a sort of (black) "nylon braid" to keep the cables dressed nicely. The stuff was sort of like *copper* tubular braid but made of nylon (or some sort of plastic). I.e., If you tried to "shorten" a length of this stuff, the diameter increased dramatically -- this was the trick to getting the cables fed into the sheath in the first place!

I recall it was pricey in larger diameters (e.g., 1" or more).

Any pointers to the stuff? Or, a trade name for it??

Thx!

--don

Reply to
Don Y

google image search is the trick to finding stuff like that

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Wire loom is the generic name. Nylon or polyester are commonly used. I kinda like the self-wrapping type,

Reply to
whit3rd

Braided Sleeving

Martin Riddle

Lacing cord.

eg Farnell Order Code: 3058669 or Newark Part No: 72C3532

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Which is almost the exact opposite of what you asked for. Sorry.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Expandable (or braided) sleeving. Lots of materials sizes etc. available.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

--
Lacing cord.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=lacing%20cord

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

--
Oops...

Expando sleeving.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=expando%20sleeving

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 10:04:25 -0500, John Fields Gave us:

I am very familiar with it. I used it for years, in fact.

Far more longevity than nylon 'tie-wraps' as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Thanks!

I'm not keen on the possibility of it EVER "unwrapping". The tubular braid is what I was looking for, thanks!

Reply to
Don Y

On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 10:08:16 -0500, John Fields Gave us:

Yep. Usually use a non-flammable mil fiber than nylon though.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If you are really old-school, lacing. ;-)

Ecnerwal

When the DVI cable in the bundle needs to be replaced, the new one going in while the old one comes out is SO much nicer with the tensioned wrap type. You just work the seam like it was a zipper.

Reply to
whit3rd

The cables will *never* be replaced. Nor do I expect them to ever "wear out"! :> Rather, they'll see more abuse than "computer cables" so the likelihood of something "staying sealed shut" (or, outright *failing*) is probably pretty low.

Reply to
Don Y

Thanks, I've got many spools of the stuff -- not what I need (and won't hold up to th4e environment).

The nylon braid is the trick. I'd remembered it at $1/ft but it appears not to have experienced any priced reductions! :-(

Reply to
Don Y

depends on where you look,

36'x 1" for $15.60 with free shipping