NXP LPCXpresso demo board

A colleague recommended I get an LPCXpresso demo board, which contains a JTAG interface connected to a small target system, but usable separately by physically snapping the target system off the end.

ARMs, I discover, have a facility called 'semihosting', where the target system can write to the host system's console and even read and write its file system--in this case, over the JTAG link.

Anyone here have any practical wisdom about the LPCXpresso and/or how useful semihosting is/

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Semihosting looks both kludgy and clever. It traps into debug mode, does some register swaps in and out via the JTAG dongle, and returns from the exception. Haven't used it but it looks like it has the potential to disturb timers, other I/O, and the like. I'd rather wiggle a pin or, if I need to get fancy, use a UART or CAN peripheral to talk to the outside world in a more well behaved fashion.

The dev board, though, looks like fun. Have to get one to play with.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I had that board in my hands about 2 weeks ago. In my impression its more like a gadget. But we are already using the LPC2000 series controllers for 3 years. I've ordered the MCB1760 development board from Keil instead to get going with NXP's Cortex controllers. Not that we use Keil's compiler but their dev boards are okay and ready to be programmed over the serial port using Flashmagic.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel