NTC capacitors

When the dielectric constant is measured vs. temperature, is the change in size taken into account? In other words, is the tempco of the dielectric measured as an intrinsic property of the material or does it also include the change in size?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Digikey doesn't show any surface-mount NTC caps. All their NTCs are giant high-voltage things. We use an 18pF N750, custom order from Murata.

Looks like 2pF N3300 sorts of things don't exist.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That might work but it would annoy production.

I wonder if it's reasonable/affordable to get a PCB house to mill out a region of the board from below, like this,

to reduce the FR4 capacitance. I'd want to go most of the way through the board, leaving 10 mils or so. I know that people mill out most of some vias from below, to reduce capacitance. Same idea.

I'll find out.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

What sorta %change/ C is N3300? The capax data sheet shows a max of ~1%/C at 2.2pF. That seems like a lot, but I don't know. (If they don't like email get on the horn.)

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

-3300 PPM is -0.33% per degree C.

Which part is that? That would be N10000. Some of the bad dielectrics, Z5U types, have huge TCs, but not guaranteed and not very linear.

lunatic fringe electronics

Squeek!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Curve "P" (page 2) looks to be about 10% in 30 C, they make that in 0603 packages from 1 pF to 470 pF.

Isn't that what you wanted?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Oops I read the curve wrong... Curve "T" is ~N3300. (20 C per division.. duh.)

GH.

Reply to
George Herold

Interesting. They don't show any data on voltage coefficient, though, and there's no tolerance on the tempco. Most N750s are -750 +- 120 ppm/K like those Kemet ones Win linked to. That's fine for one-offs, where you can cut and try a few times, but in production it only gets you a factor of 6 improvement with no tweaks.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Those would work great, if I can get them. They never answered my email.

At 1 or 2 pF, I'd buy the biggest NTC that they can make. I'd pad it with an NPO in series to tune the net oscillator TC to zero. The rough-estimated actual fix is 1 pF at N2500, but more NTC would give me room to tweak the actual PC board. Curve V is N4700, so 1 pF would give me lots of margin to pad down.

I'll try them again.

lunatic fringe electronics

Some vendors respond better to the phone. I guess someday I'll run across a vendor who likes Facebook and I'll have to go there.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I called them. They remembered my email but hadn't got around to answering.

They can do 2 pF at N3300 in 0805 or 0603, a few weeks lead time, 4K reel at a reasonable price. I can pad that with a theoretical 3pF NPO and compensate my oscillator without pulling it too far.

Simultaneously, two PCB houses are willing to mill out the board from below and leave about 10 mils of FR4 under the parts, which might cut my PCB capacitance by maybe 2:1. We could use some em simulation software to estimate the actual capacitance; maybe ATLC or Sonnet Lite.

Cutting away FR4 is interesting in other apps, like maybe making low-loss microstrips. "Suspended substrate" sort of.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Wouldn't a Rogers microwave substrate be cheaper, easier and more predictable?

seem to be low loss, while

seem to be FR4 compatible.

They won't be as cheap as FR4 and your printed circuit sub-contractor will probably have to buy a square metre or so of the substrate, but anything you produce in volume would eat that up.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

So...

Excuse me for rocking the boat, with an infuriatingly obviously-wrong suggestion, but:

Why not put the oscillator section on a teensy daughter card section.

Make it out of pricey Rogers or whatever. Put a heater on it if you like. Put a cover over it to reduce air currents and improve close-in / 1/f properties.

The entire rest of the board can be cheap FR4. Maybe even crappy two layer construction. (Or maybe not. But the method can always be extended to as many subcircuits as needed...)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

For high volume, connectors are expensive. For prototypes, the daughterboard always gets in the way. ;-) I suppose the daughterboard could be a LGA sort of thing but you'd have to make sure both are really flat.

Reply to
krw

For optical reasons I'm doing a baby board suspended on edge-clip leadframe pins. Tyco makes SIP-style ones, but the only folks that I've found who make DIP-style ones are Batten & Allen.

They're reasonably cheap as well--certainly a lot cheaper than a C-grid header.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That has been suggested here. All that would be expensive, and take more engineering, than compensating the oscillator on the main board. The NTC cap and an NPO series padder will cost a total of 15 cents and our pick-and-place can slam two caps down in about 1 second.

I have done too many ovenized subassemblies, and the challenge is to NOT do it again.

The main board will be roughly 8x10 inches, 8 layers, ENIG, 4 mil rules, optimistically under 1000 parts. That won't be cheap either.

lunatic fringe electronics