Now its getting really dangerous

Now its getting really dangerous:

No more buttons...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Nice page devoid of real content. Thanks.

Reply to
John S

On a sunny day (Tue, 04 Nov 2014 13:06:18 -0600) it happened John S wrote in :

See an eye doctor?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes, but his page is viewable.

Reply to
John S

Looks like that video requires anti-advertising protections such as AdBlock Plus to be disabled in order to be viewed.

Reply to
asdf

Velcro is another substitute for buttons.

Here's a much better video: Note that it was shown at the 2013 Paris air show.

Glass cockpits, EFIS (electronic flight instrumentation system) and ECAM (electronic centralized aircraft monitor) systems have been around for a long time: The only differences that I can see from the Thales system in the video and existing EFIS displays is that Thales uses a touchscreen instead of buttons around the edge, and uses a large display area.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

On a sunny day (Tue, 04 Nov 2014 20:26:57 -0800) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

These touch things may be practical for navigation, but when you start replacing buttons and switches.. just imagine a non standard stituation, some smoke in the cockpit, f*ck man conversation: rotate ... gear eeeeh, wipe wipe wipe GEAR wipe wipe BANG

No way no way

wet finger, my antidroid only reacts when it feels like it, and often my fingers do not fit the designers idea what a finger should be like. That anti-droid is in the cabinet with the battery removed, them pad and pods are useless.

Put some coffee on the touch screen, now you lost control of everything. Maybe even the eject MENU????

No wonder with that sort of I-No-Ovation the F35 is grounded.

'Fly By Gesture' How about that?

Thumbs up: go up, Thumbs down: terra firma. mmm maybe that will happen.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It would be useful if an experienced pilot (20+ yrs) did at least one test flight of that system in real-life thru most kinds of weather conditions - and made a public report...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Perhaps you should see the other "news" references; the "content" is the headlines is the "content"...

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Wed, 05 Nov 2014 03:29:55 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

Yes, with a lot of turbulence wiping the screen may not be that reliable..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Don't worry Jan, there is a huge backlash in the Pilot business about "Children of the Magenta Line" who only use automation. Enough recent crashes have involved pilots misunderstanding systems failures, that notice has been taken.

It is thus highly unlikely a full touch flight management system will be implemented in anything you ride on. Too much goes wrong if a waypoint is improperly entered.

The old joke about future aircraft requiring only a pilot and a dog in the cockpit is far, far, in the future. Very few people will trust a fully computerized flight.

Pilots lament the lack of manual flying skills, and FAA just drastically increased the minimum commercial non-passenger flight hours required before an ATPL can be issued.

Steve

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

I have been flying glass cockpit aircraft for a couple of hunderds of hours. It is difficult enough to hit the proper button in bumpy weather, and I do not like to think an iPad style interface there.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

Jan, this is a 1997 video. It should cover your concerns. It is worth watching for the EE/ET community as we often do our man/machine interfaces as a afterthought. Note at end of video MDA= Minimum Decision Altitude during landing. Since this video was shot, mandatory anti-collisi on and terrain monitoring systems have been added to airliners. CFIT, contr olled flight into terrain, is a greatly reduced possibility with these syst ems.

Still this is worth a half hour of your time if you design interfaces.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 15:58:12 +0200, Tauno Voipio Gave us:

Use the speech input function. :-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

No - that's used to command Junior on the right seat.

--

-TV
Reply to

On a sunny day (Wed, 5 Nov 2014 06:30:33 -0800 (PST)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@crash.com" wrote in :

Nice, thank you. This actually goes for many things, even electronics.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I was totally unimpressed with the speaker in the Thales video. When asked why the new cockpit was good his reply was that this "is the future"... lol

I believe the reason why they are going to glass cockpit is because of the proliferation of controls in an airplane. The sheer number of buttons is becoming overwhelming. I'm not too sure going through menus is any better though. How the heck do you remember all the contortions to get to all the menu selections? Will that really be any better?

--

Rick
Reply to

the computer will most likely show you a menu with stuff that matter right now

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Damn good video; even for passengers!