Novel? Guitar amp input stage, single 12AX7, footswitchable using "folded" feedback loop.

There's been a lot of discussion on AGA lately about the Marshall 2204 "Cascaded" preamp circuit and whether or not it sucks and how much. A lot of people really do like the high gain preamp. But what sucks about the cascaded Marshall circuit is that there's no way to switch the high and low gain besides physically moving a cable from one input jack to the other. That circuit was a long time ago, though, these days everyone likes channel switching amps which use relays or other switching logic to push the signal through different tube stages and recombine them at the power amp. Which is complicated and no fun to homebrew.

Anyway I came up with this circuit, which allows easy footswitching with no relays or anything between a 'clean' input stage and a 'high gain' input stage, with appropriate frequency response voicing. It's built and working, as part of a homemade amplifier, and I really do like the sound so far.

I don't know if it's original or not, in the context of a guitar amp, but I think it's pretty neat.

This circuit pretty much looks like a Marshall "cascaded" preamp here. But with the footswitch open, the 47K resistor and 0.44 uF capacitor form a feedback loop between the plate of the second triode (half of a 12AX7) and the cathode of the first triode. The 0.44 uF capacitor really doesn't do anything here but just pass the feedback signal through - the DC is already blocked by the 0.022 uF coupling capacitor between the second triode's plate and the output load, and any high-pass filtering is going to be dominated by the 0.022 uF cap as well. The result of the feedback loop is a stage with a moderate amount of gain, pretty flat frequency response, and low distortion unless driven to the limits where it'll hardclip, which a typical guitar pickup won't be able to do. So it's a typical 'clean' input stage.

Now close the footswitch, this grounds the middle of the feedback loop and breaks it. The 0.44 uF capacitor now becomes a cathode bypass capacitor for the first triode, bringing in a gain boost above about

300 Hz. The 47 K resistor becomes just a dummy load hanging off the output. Without feedback, the stage distorts much more readily, gain is much higher, and the frequency response is not as even. Lows are rolled off by the interstage coupling RC network and the treble rolls off due to Miller effect capacitance. It ends up being a typical 'high gain' input stage with appropriate frequency response and distortion. Crunch!

Small-signal SPICE simulation of the frequency response and gain of each stage is here:

What makes this really amenable to footswitching is that although the gain at the switching point is high, the impedance is very low, so noise pickup isn't much of an issue. The feedback loop keeps the impedance low to such noise signals, it's sort of a virtual ground. So I just think this circuit is really neat.

There's a lot of talk on AGA about the differences in voicing a clean and distorted channel. It's true that you can't totally tweak everything here, but you can probably do quite a bit to change frequency response and gain. The feedback resistor could probably even include a variable pot.

Reply to
Morris Slutsky

Moose,

I just checked SPICE about capacitance to ground at the footswitch point. There is a small peak at about 100 KHz from a 100 pF capacitance there, and a really huge one from 1000 pF. I'm hoping that my actual footswitch is closer to 300 pF - it probably is, assuming that most of this is due to the capacitance of the footswitch cable itself (about 6 feet) - which SPICE expects to produce a 4 dB boost peaking at about 165 pF. I suspect that the actual boost will be less than this, due to stray capacitances (wiring to ground plane?) lowering the overall high frequency response in ways that SPICE cannot readily take into account. But yes, you're right, I should expect peaky behavior here. It's outside the audio band hopefully, which is good because you won't hear it, bad because it could cause inaudible parasitics, mitigated by the fact that this peak is still less than the response at this frequency in high-gain mode and if it doesn't oscillate there why would it oscillate in low gain mode?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Reply to
Morris Slutsky

They probably extend their sixth finger :-)

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0(Stephen Leacock)

I'm the one who crossposted. Guilty! I just wanted to hear from these 3 different groups. It's a guitar amp circuit so it belongs on AGA. It's a tube circuit so it belongs on RAT. And since it's design, feedback, all that complicated stuff, I wanted to hear from SED. Fair enough I guess! I understand that the perspectives here are all going to be different. As to the Lord, he is well known to dislike "3 legged fuses" and anything digital - but oddly enough he does know quite a bit about the old-fashioned FETs of the 70s so go figure, it's his personal opinion and not his lack of knowledge, it's an informed opinion even if we may disagree. Me, I don't always dislike solid state guitar amps, and nobody has ever had a problem with transistorized guitar effects such as the classic Fuzz Face, although I do dislike digital guitar gear probably because I first saw the stuff in the early 90s when it had latency so bad that you could hit a note and go make a sandwich before coming back and hearing it come out of the speaker. So that's where I'm coming from and why I crossposted.

As to the Lord's client list - never heard of ANY of them? Really? Not even Meatloaf or Fleetwood Mac or Huey Louis? I can understand that most people wouldn't like Yo La Tengo but they are cool I think. And definitely the Dirty Dozen Brass Band rules - check out "Brooklyn" I think that's their main popular tune. As to the Flobots - I love the Flobots. My band actually covers "Handlebars" and they let me play the horn solo (I only play guitar but I use an octave fuzz there. It's kind of close. Kinda.) I mean, it's not like he has done work for the Beatles but hey you know the Beatles are half-dead already, life is like that, there's plenty of good music out there today.

Reply to
Morris Slutsky

Go to an estate sale and you may see some of their LPs.

John

Everyone knows that Ex-Lax destroys the 'air' in the stage space... Dulco-Lax maintains the phase resilience in the trans-uranic highs.

However, true hardcore aficianados work it out with a pencil... No. 2 Eberhard, pre-Sanford NOS... no mechanical sharpening! __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

And you'd *damn* sure better handle *them* with white cloth gloves... or clean them in solvent before installation! __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

I use only liquid-nitrogen cured National Union 6SN7s. Be careful about the direction of the filament current.

John

Well, you'd know more about that shit than I would.

LV

Reply to
Lord Valve

No need, unless you don't like fingerprints on the stainless steel body, but you absolutely have to make sure that there is enough water flow to keep them from melting down. One system i worked with had three 65 kW tubes, for a 195 kW output.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to