Nostalgia Radio & TV

My attitude is out with the old and in with the new, but I sure look back fondly at all the old stuff I collected for parts and then tossed. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Nice. I used to work on such stuff in my Dad's radio & TV shop. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Shortly after my discharge from the Army in 1945, I built one of these:

For the schematic: (It really did use thirty tubes!)

The pre-punched chassis was available on "radio row" in NYC, as were a set of the IF transformers, the RF tuner and the flyback transformer.

For the rest, I scrounged from various places, with the exception of the thirty tubes, which I had to buy. It wasn't quite like a Heath-Kit, since the only instructions was the schematic!

We had that set until 1955. After altering the AGC to avoid "flutter" every time a plane flew near, it was a pretty good set!

--
Virg Wall
Reply to

Nice. A friend's dad had a TV with Channel 1 -- he started out after the war as a TV repairman. He also still had a tool box, a tube box, and some Sams Photofacts from the late 40s/early 50s.

You scrounged the flyback and the coils, too?

We kept our Hallicrafters for ten years, too.

Reply to
spamtrap1888