non-stock

What's going on with Digikey? If you do a product search, the difference between non-stocked vs stocked parts can be over 10:1.

What's the point of having a part listed where QTY AVAIL = 0 ?

John

just tick the "in stock" box, I assume non-stock there are listed because they used to have some or and/or if you ask from them they know where to get them if they exist

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Because that makes it a great parametric search site?

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Yeah. Mouser does the same.

I think they want you to know that they will get it for you even if it is not in stock.

You would have to pay handsomely for them (unless you use lots of them) and wait for them to arrive.

John S

Reply to
John S

Maximized? Ooops, sorry, just slipped my tongue :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

They had acquired a lot of stock from the late 90's and early 00's. Now they are selling it off and not stocking it. While it may be listed, they probably wont stock it. You'll need to go to a distributor. It seems they started to sell off the stock in 2007/08 or so.

Martin Riddle

John Larkin has brought this to us :

In the bottom (warmer) part of the world we often have to wait for parts from USA and even then they are often here in Sydney in 7 or 8 days. So the local Element 14 shows parts avail local and wherever else in the world.

--
John G.
Reply to

--
Access.
Reply to

If you look underneath the parametric filter table, on the left there are three check boxes for further filtering on IN STOCK , LEAD FREE , and RoHS COMPLIANT.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I just translate QTY = 0 as 'Do you want to buy 1000000000000000? If so we can help because we have it listed.' Or It's 'We don't have it but you might need it so we show it to you.'

REquest Digikey split their site in two. Site A has stock. Site B doesn't. My guess all the traffic will be on the stock site.

Reply to
D from BC

If it's in the data base why take it out? (till it's end of life)

Digikey has the best search engine. I buy all my small quantities there. For the same reason I buy most of my beer, for a few more dollars, from the store at the bottom of the hill.

I'd hate it if they went away.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I once ordered a particular power diode which was back-ordered for about three months, though it came in two. YMMV.

Tim

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Tim Williams

Why would you have to pay more? The other question, of course, is why would one buy from DigiKey unless they were in stock and needed now.

Reply to
krw

I have several times seen parts that were in stock earlier, but now have a lead time of 2-10 weeks show up on DK. I guess it depends on whether you need the parts right now, or are just setting up a BOM for later...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Tim Williams a écrit :

AKO back diode?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Other times, it's because they really are out of them, and so is the manufacturer, so they are in the process of ordering more. Lead time is then at the manufacturer's discretion, which can vary from weeks (sit and wait, if you can) to years (fuggedaboitit).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Do I detect the beginning of a pun thread? I'm very sensitive to that.

John

It's a delivery time / availability indicator.

RL

Reply to
legg

Right. 90% of the parts that they stock are unavailable.

John

Right. Don't use that 90% (check the in-stock checkbox) and you'll design with parts that are actually in production. ...makes life a lot easier.

Reply to
krw