Non-linear Material for Irregular Coil

As part of an experiment, I need to process the EMF of a coil through a non-linear material. Ordinarily, I would wind the coil on a ferrite former, but in this case the coil shape is irregular.

Is there any material that I can deposit around the coil, either loose or by room temperature pour, that will introduce a degree of non-linearity?

Is a list of such materials available?

Ken Barrett

Reply to
Ken Barrett

I think all magnetic materials are non-linear.. at least to some degree or other.

You want the most non-linear? I'm not sure what 'process the EMF through a non-linear material' means.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Plastic-bonded ferrite granules are used. I've no idea how accessible they are.

You can get soft iron powder and bond it with epoxy resin, and that is used in some transformer cores.

In the UK we bought that kind of stuff from Goodfellow Metals. They do sell small quantities.

Their minimum prices seems to be in the $100 range.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The question is what the non-linearity is for and to what degree. Ferrite/iron powders can be applied to a ready-wound coil, but their binding material is effectively a huge distributed air gap, which moves the non-linearity far, far away. OTOH, sintering would probably destroy the coil.

The most non-linear would be a molten TNT bath deposition. Nothing, nothing, still nothing, kaboom!, zero inductance.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

quite, once again the question is far too vague for much of an answer. All core materials are saturable, so we're left not knowing what the OP wants.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No, no, no! A blown-open inductor has infinite inductance!! What if he wants zero?!

(Simple solution: leave a TNT dripline up to the rest of the apparatus, so it becomes neither zero nor infinite inductance, but undefined -- you can't measure it if the equipment is gone. :^) )

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

What I was looking for is a material with similar properties to a conventional ferrite rod but not in "solid" form.

From the above reply, it would appear that I can crush a ferrite rod into granules and mix it with epoxy. Since the electrical conductivity is presumed to be low,

I suppose conductive epoxy is unnecessary. If so, wax might be an easier option.

Ken Barrett

Reply to
Ken Barrett

Google diy ferro-fluid. You can precipitate your own, a lot of hobbyists have done it - no need to grind ferrite.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

unwanted not unnecessary, epoxy in some mold maybe, ferrite companies might sell you powder/granules, I'd try to talk to them first. Heck they might sell you the epoxy too.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

any of iron filings, iron sand, printer toner, ground-up ferrite.

you can use anything that sticks to a magnet - Sticks though magnetism, I don't mean chewing gum

Black iron oxide powder is probably a good starting point, availabe at arts supplies and hardware outlets

Jasen Betts

conductivity is generally undesirable in a transformer core. wax will be ok if you don't get it hot when using it.

Jasen Betts

except the toner which is normally carbon & plastic

as cement colouring. Dull red is iron oxide.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

nope.

Jasen Betts

h a

se

earity?

I have read data on toners from 2 manufacturers to look into whether we cou ld create a cheaper substitute, and they were both carbon plus plastic. We use carbon/plastic toner here. I also know a bit about the history of elect rophotography or xerography. The early machines used carbon powder, plastic was then added to enable hot bonding of toner to paper, and I expect impro ve contrast.

Yes there are more modern toners that include iron, but there are still ple nty of carbon/plastic toners in use too, so picking a random toner may or m ay not work for the op.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr